This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5855 / 50°35'7"N
Longitude: -3.5643 / 3°33'51"W
OS Eastings: 289355
OS Northings: 77367
OS Grid: SX893773
Mapcode National: GBR P0.F2WS
Mapcode Global: FRA 37FJ.76S
Plus Code: 9C2RHCPP+67
Entry Name: Longbarn
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85347
Location: Ideford, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Ideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ideford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
IDEFORD CHURCH ROAD, Ideford
SX 87 NE
House. Circa C18 with C20 renovations and rear addition. Original range colourwashed
rendered cob on stone rubble footings; thatched roof, gabled at ends, the thatch
replaced with wooden shingles to the rear of the ridge; projecting end stacks with
brick shafts, the projections continued to the rear for left and right stair turrets.
The rear addition of narrow service rooms is colourwashed rendered brick with a
wooden shingle lean-to roof.
The original plan appears to have been a single depth main range, 2 rooms wide with
heated rooms on either side of a passage. The right hand fireplace has the remains
of a bread oven and may have been the original kitchen with a parlour to the left,
however, the former existence of newel stairs at either end of the house may indicate
2 occupations at an early date. The rear service addition is probably 1930s but may
have replaced earlier outshuts, a "pantry" and "back place" referred to in an auction
catalogue of 1920. The newel stairs adjacent to each stack have been replaced by a
rear centre stair in the rear addition.
2 storeys and attic. Attractive symmetrical 3-bay front, the eaves thatch eyebrowed
over 3 first floor small attic windows which are C18 2-light casements with square
leaded panes. Central gabled porch, probably rebuilt in the C20, first and ground
floor windows 3-light casements with square leaded panes and shutters. These
windows may be replacements but the embrasures are probably original.
Interior The ground floor rooms and passage have exposed joists of slender
scantling. Both fireplaces are largely rebuilt but the right hand fireplace has a
chamfered lintel with runout stops that may be original. Recesses with rounded walls
adjacent to each stack indicate former stair turrets. No access to apex of roof at
time of survey (1986) but the principal rafters are straight with C20 collars and tie
A 1920 auction catalogue in the possession of the owner advertises "2 stucco and
thatched cottages (formerly 1)" The house appears to have been divided so that the
left hand cottage had the porch, a "Living Room, back place, 2 bedrooms on the first
floor and 1 on the second floor", the right hand cottage had a "Living Room with
range, pantry, Bedroom on first floor and 2 Bedrooms on the second floor".
A particularly charming exterior. The possibility that the building was in 2
occupations at an early date and may have been designed for this, facilitating its
use as "2..... cottages" in the 1920's in particularly interesting. Group value with
Listing NGR: SX8935577367
Other nearby listed buildings