This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1227 / 52°7'21"N
Longitude: 0.101 / 0°6'3"E
OS Eastings: 543934
OS Northings: 249233
OS Grid: TL439492
Mapcode National: GBR L87.VRV
Mapcode Global: VHHKG.PXR4
Entry Name: The Cottage
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165063
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51582
Location: Newton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Newton
Built-Up Area: Newton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Newton St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Ely
220/22/178 FOWLMERE ROAD
29-AUG-1984 (West side)
House. c.1905-6 with additional service wing and motor house added c.1907-8. By Barry Parker of Parker and Unwin for H.W. Hurrell Esq. Clay bat with some timber framing to the rear wall, originally roughcast rendered now replaced by cement. Steeply pitched plain tiled roofs at two levels with deep overhang at eaves and crested ridge tiles. Two gault brick stacks, one to the ridge and the other to the right hand gable end, and a third stack set obliquely to the front wall. Each stack has a narrow string course but no projecting capping. The house retains its original plan of a single range of four equal squares with the porch and hall and stairbay partly superimposed over the end bays. The house is of two storeys with three- and four-light casements to each storey. The two-storey porch set obliquely to the front wall has a flat roof and four loop openings at first floor. The room to the south, the living room, has a bay window across the south west corner which is in alignment with the side walls of the porch and hall.
Adjoining the house at the north end is the slightly later service and motor house addition. Similar materials with exposed framing in the gable end to the road, but the roofs are pantiled and at a lower level. Similar small gault brick stack. Two storeys. One gable dormer.
INTERIOR. The entrance hall has an early C18 reset closed-string staircase with turned balusters. The living room has a corner fireplace behind the stairs with overmantel and some early C17 reset panelling. Possibly C18 fireplace to study with C17 overmantel and Art Nouveau style grate. First floor has original simple red tile fireplaces. Original doors and windows survive overall. Mostly original fittings in kitchen/scullery etc. area.
The service wing has original doors, windows and fittings. The harness room has boarded walls and the stabling has loose boxes with corner sinks. Fireplace in groom's room above the coach house.
Architectural Review: June 1978 p.326-332
Parker and Unwin: Catalogue of an Exhibition at the
Architectural Association, London. Feb-March 1980
The Craftsman: ed. G. Strickley (N.Y.) (c.1910)
D. Hawkes: (Dept. of Architecture and Urban Studies:
University of Cambridge): unpublished manuscript
M. Miller, The art of building a home, in Burman, P., ed., Architecture 1900, 1998.
Listing NGR: TL4393449233
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings