This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1461 / 52°8'45"N
Longitude: 0.3458 / 0°20'45"E
OS Eastings: 560608
OS Northings: 252348
OS Grid: TL606523
Mapcode National: GBR NC0.J7W
Mapcode Global: VHHKL.YB65
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51364
Location: West Wratting, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: West Wratting
Built-Up Area: West Wratting
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: West Wratting St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WEST WRATTING THE CAUSEWAY
13/167 Church of St
Parish church. Early C14 west tower C14 nave and C14-C15 chancel. Early C18
alterations, and restoration of 1898. Fieldstone, flint and clunch
dressings, now replaced by Ketton limestone. Slate roof. West tower,
aisleless nave, and chancel. Three stage west tower embattled with three
stage set-back buttressing. Early C14 and later bell stage. Restored west
window of two cinquefoil lights with dagger tracery to the two-centred head.
Single trefoil lights to the first stage. Two openings, each with trefoil
head in two centred arch to the bell stage. Nave C14 with later clerestory.
Fenestration originally of clunch, now Ketton limestone. Reticulated tracery
in two centred arches. South porch is C14-C15. Two centred outer arch
clunch of two chamfered orders, the inner on half octagonal columns. Inner
arch of two continuous moulded orders. Above the arch is C18 stuccoed raised
and fielded panel with text painted in black lettering. Two bays with
original king-post roof trusses and short braced ties. Chancel: Rebuilt C15
and fenestration and roof restored 1898. C18 north vestry. North doorway to
nave of clunch of two chamfered orders. Raised and fielded C18 panelled
door. Inside: west tower arch two centred and of two hollow moulded orders
with three shaft responds (similar to Balsham church). Nave roof, medieval
with moulded tie beams and bracing but later boarding. Chancel arch, two
centred and of two orders, the outer hollow moulded and the inner chamfered
on half octagonal column. North of chancel is a niche with a foiled head and
there is a piscina in the north wall. The niche in a similar position south
of the chancel arch is now part obscured. A rood loft was inserted in C15.
In 1737 the church was restored by Sir John Jacob. The restoration included
plaster panelling of the chancel which is in two heights with raised and
fielded panels to lower stage and sunk panels with moulded quadrants to the
upper stage. Double piscina in south wall. Part of early C18 pulpit remains
on wooden base. The iron chancel screen was given in 1922.
Pevsner: Buildings of England p 480
V.C.H: Cambs Vol VI p 197
R.C.H.M.: record card
Listing NGR: TL6060852348
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings