History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School and School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Normanby-by-Spital, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3794 / 53°22'45"N

Longitude: -0.4967 / 0°29'48"W

OS Eastings: 500095

OS Northings: 387997

OS Grid: TF000879

Mapcode National: GBR SYZC.89

Mapcode Global: WHGHF.BBQ5

Entry Name: School and School House

Listing Date: 22 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165106

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196785

Location: Normanby By Spital, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Normanby by Spital

Built-Up Area: Normanby-by-Spital

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Owmby St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hackthorn

Listing Text

TF 08 NW NORMANBY BY SPITAL MAIN STREET
(West side)

6/29 School and
School House

II

School and School House. 1878. Red brick with black and yellow
bands, ashlar dressings, slate roofs with lead dressings one
external gable and 2 ridge stacks. The school house is of 2
storeys and 3 bays with plinth, ground and 1st floor
polychromatic brick cill bands. In the centre is a triangular
headed archway leading to a C19 planked door with plain
overlight. To the left is a canted bay window with hipped lead
roof and to right are triple brick lancets with plain sashes.
Above the door is a small pointed window with to left a broader
gabled lancet projecting into the roof as a through eaves dormer,
with plain bargeboard and pendant finial. To the right are a
pair of lancets with double bracketed gable above and pendant
finial. To the right of the house is the single storey 6 bay
school block, with plinth and polychromatic cill band. The
left hand planked door with decorative iron hinges has a pointed
plain overlight. To the right are 5 pairs of windows, the
central pair being lancets set beneath a gable, the other pairs
have plain facetted ashlar lintels. Above the middle pair is a
stone carved to resemble a relief shield bearing the inscription
"A.D. 1878". On the ridge of the roof is a circular capped
metal ventilator.


Listing NGR: TF0009587997

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.