History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clovelly Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Clovelly, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0008 / 51°0'2"N

Longitude: -4.4098 / 4°24'35"W

OS Eastings: 231011

OS Northings: 125145

OS Grid: SS310251

Mapcode National: GBR K8.K6P3

Mapcode Global: FRA 16NG.MTK

Entry Name: Clovelly Court

Listing Date: 22 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165390

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91151

Location: Clovelly, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Clovelly

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Clovelly All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Clovelly

Listing Text

CLOVELLY CLOVELLY COURT
SS 32 SW

5/79 Clovelly Court

22.1.52
- II

Large detached Country house. 1740 for Zachary Hamlyn, altered by Sir James
Hamlyn 1795; interior severely damaged by fire c1950. Panel above doorway reads:
'Antiqua Domus Conflagrata AD 1789 Aedem Hanc Anno Sequente Susceptam Extruit
JACOBUS HAMLYN Baronettus. Mainly rubble, but wing smooth rendered, slate roofs.
A classical design in simple detail with some Gothick later works; a long 3-storey
plus attic hipped block returns to a broad 3-storey unit with octagonal stair
turrets projecting from the two outer corners. The two units are linked in the
inner angle by a gatehouse or entrance tower also with half-octagonal stair
turrets. Entrance through door at base of gatehouse, under lean-to roof on
cambered opening; above this a plaque reading:
a two-light stone casement with cusped pointed light and a baroque cartouche. The
left turret has two lancets and the right two lancets and a 2-light casement. The
principal block, smooth rendered, with hipped roof has a 2+2 window principal
front with 12-pane sashes at ground and first floors, and small-pane Yorkshire
sliding sashes to the second floor. Right hand turret with 3 small lights
vertically, both turrets with hipped slated cappings. The link back to the
entrance tower is in 3 windows, 12 above 15 pane sashes. Long front facing the
walled garden (q.v.) has one bay rendered with 12-pane sash; this continues to an
unrendered section with 3-windows, 12-pane sashes at ground floor, two 2-light
casements and a small sash at eaves, then an added block to swept down roof.
Plain return gable end towards church. Return front, on entrance side, has
scattered fenestration, mainly 2-light small pane casements, but one larger, one
12-pane sash, and a large 24-pane sash. Plank door towards right. Straight joint
in masonry at half-way point corresponding with ridge stack; a second ridge stack,
and one to right hipped end, all in brick. High-set hipped dormer with sash. At
left end a projecting section of wall with swept down roof. Flight of 5 very
shallow steps in quadrant and rubble wall to either side containing stone
terrace. Interior: not inspected but understood to be much modified as result of
C20 fire damage.


Listing NGR: SS3102125156

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.