This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.008 / 51°0'28"N
Longitude: -4.4139 / 4°24'50"W
OS Eastings: 230745
OS Northings: 125953
OS Grid: SS307259
Mapcode National: GBR K7.JZL4
Mapcode Global: FRA 16NG.071
Entry Name: The Angels Wings
Listing Date: 22 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165473
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91161
Location: Clovelly, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Clovelly
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clovelly All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 22 NE & SS 32 NW
2/92 & 5/92
CLOVELLY COURT PARK
The Angels Wings
Seat with canopy. Wooden date plaque to south: "1826" restored "1934 by Boon Bros. Boatbuilders of Northam". Wooden structure with a pyramidal shingled roof which is bellcast, lead flashing at the angles and apex, capped by a large stone ball finial. Square on plan. Central tapering square pillar with floral carving on each face, at the base of the pillar a slatted wooden bench; the pillar supports the roof principally on four large curving struts carved like the wings of angels, further uncarved cusped struts set above; soffit with carved angel busts in relief.
Situated on the edge of the cliffs with wide views out to sea. An unusual romantic structure, part of the landscaped park created by Sir James Hamlyn in the late C18/early C19 around Clovelly Court.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 2 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings