This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5889 / 50°35'19"N
Longitude: -4.247 / 4°14'49"W
OS Eastings: 241036
OS Northings: 78979
OS Grid: SX410789
Mapcode National: GBR NR.D6XV
Mapcode Global: FRA 17ZH.Z3N
Entry Name: Milton Abbot School
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92505
Location: Milton Abbot, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Milton Abbot
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 447 NW MILTON ABBOT MILTON GREEN
10/263 Milton Abbot School
Schoolroom and adjoining schoolhouse, the schoolhouse now converted to additional
classrooms. 1829, founded as an endowed school by the Duke of Bedford. Stone rubble
with slate roofs with coped gables at ends and parapets, 5 stone stacks with
diagonally-set shafts, one a projecting lateral stack to the front of the schoolroom.
Tudor style with some Gothick details to the schoolroom. Single-storey schoolroom
with left gable end porch, 2-storey schoolhouse, originally divided into
accommodation for 2 families, adjoining at right and slightly set back. Picturesque
asymmetrical 4-window front to schoolroom, symmetrical 4-window front to schoolhouse
forming a long 7-window range overall, each block with a parapet with moulded cornice
and a plinth. The schoolroom has a large projecting lateral stack on front flanked
by coped set-offs on the front at the left, and a tall 4-light canted bay window on
the front at the right with a stone gabled bell turret above. The left gable end
porch has a parapet and a doorway at the left end. Most of the windows have been
reglazed but retain their Gothick character. 2-light porch window with arched lights
and 12-pane sashes. On either side of the stack is a 2-light casement with a high
transom and arched lights, 9-panes above the transom. The bay window, which may be
an addition, has arched timber lights with high transoms, 9-panes above the transom,
15 below. The schoolhouse has a gableted roof with 2 stacks on the high ridge and 2
to the rear, all with paired shafts. A large 4-centred archway on the front at the
centre gives into a recessed porch with two 4-panel front doors on the rear wall of
the arched recess. Two 1-light casements above the archway with hoodmoulds have C20
glazing, the other 4-windows, also with hoodmoulds are 2-light C20 casements, all in
original embrasures. The 2 houses have rear stone porches with chamfered arched
doorways, 1 blocked. 2-light C19 casements to the rear have glazing bars.
Interior not inspected.
Milton Abbot was one of the last endowed elementary schools in Devon, and originally
for boys only. It became a Voluntary School in 1848 and a Board School in 1877.
R.R. Sellman, Devon Village Schools in the Nineteenth Century (1967) (Photograph,
Listing NGR: SX4103678979
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings