History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Warren

A Grade II* Listed Building in Loughton, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6421 / 51°38'31"N

Longitude: 0.0361 / 0°2'9"E

OS Eastings: 540981

OS Northings: 195665

OS Grid: TQ409956

Mapcode National: GBR MD.1S0

Mapcode Global: VHHMR.KZXJ

Plus Code: 9F32J2RP+RC

Entry Name: The Warren

Listing Date: 29 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165605

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118627

Location: Loughton, Epping Forest, Essex, IG10

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Loughton

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Loughton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


1/45 The Warren,


Hunt standing, C16, extended to form an inn in the C18, converted to a house in
the early C19. Timber framed, part stucco, part weatherboarded, roofed with
slate. 6 bays aligned approx. E-W, main elevation to the N, with chimney stacks
in the middle, at the E end, and to the S of the W end. Rear wing to W of
centre, C18, with lean-to conservatory in SW angle, C19. Rear wing from E end
with end chimney stack, C18, and flat-roofed extension beyond, C20. Single
storey lean-to extensions between the rear wings. N and E elevations of stucco.
Ground floor, 6 french windows, the middle 2 in shallow recesses with round
arches. The more westerly of this pair has a porch with original tented lead
roof. First floor, 8 double-hung sash windows of 12 lights, early C19. Stucco
string course between storeys. Pediment with wooden brackets, and shallow
projection below. Full length cornice with paired brackets. This elevation
forms a symmetrical composition, apart from the off-centre porch. 2 first-floor
windows to E of centre exhibit blank panels behind the upper sashes, the only
external indication of the timber tower which forms the earliest part of the
structure. It is of one bay approx. 4 metres x 3 metres, of 2 storeys, formerly
known as the Little Standing, from which spectators were able to watch deer
hunts in a large clearing of the Royal Forest of Waltham, now Epping Forest. The
nearest equivalent is a timber tower of 3 storeys 1.6 KM to the SW, formerly the
Great Standing, now known as Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge, Chingford. Another
hunt standing has been identified at Galleywood, and another provisionally
identified at Hyfield, Felsted. There may be others unrecognised; they
constitute rare survivals of a type of building which was common enough in the
C16 and earlier. All the timber is of large square section and high quality.
The horizontal members are plain-chamfered on the inside only, with step stops.
Where accessible the timber is weathered on the outside; much of it is concealed
within plaster. There are no mortices for studs, nor fixings for wattle infill.
The first floor is cambered to shed rain, a feature observed at Chingford
also. One straight tiebeam is visible; the roof is rebuilt above that level.
The Reindeer Inn was built around this tower. A licence of 1st May 1747 from
the Court of Attachments authorises 'William Simmons of the Warren House in Fair
tread Bottom to use the occupation of an Ale-House Keeper in his house the Sign
of the Rayne Deer', etc. An engraving by H. S. Storer, c.1800, illustrates 'The
Rein Deer Inn' from the NE, exactly as at present except that it is shown
without the porch. The inn was described by Humphry Repton as an establishment
catering mainly for Sunday visitors from London, and he advised on how it could
be converted to a private house. (Fragments on Landscape Gardening, 1816, 475-
7). It remains much as he proposed, with early C19 interior features - a full
set of internal folding shutters, some doors and some fireplaces. (Documents
quoted are in the possession of the Conservators of Epping Forest and Essex
Record Office).

Listing NGR: TQ4098195665

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.