History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tyrell's Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Shepreth, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1093 / 52°6'33"N

Longitude: 0.0364 / 0°2'10"E

OS Eastings: 539550

OS Northings: 247618

OS Grid: TL395476

Mapcode National: GBR L8B.Q0T

Mapcode Global: VHHKM.L72V

Entry Name: Tyrell's Hall

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165779

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52367

Location: Shepreth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Shepreth

Built-Up Area: Shepreth

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Shepreth All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Shepreth

Listing Text

SHEPRETH FOWLMERE ROAD
TL 39.47
(South west side)
21/315 Tyrell's Hall (No. lo)
22.11.67
GV II


Manor house. Mainly C18 but external appearance is now early C19 following
an extensive remodelling by Thomas Nash of Cockett and Nash, architects of
Royston, Herts. in 1825. North east end is probably C16. Part timber framed
and part gault brick with the principal entrance front now on the north side,
stuccoed. Hipped, early C19, slate roof with internal and end stacks of
similar period. Two storeys. Symmetrical facade of four flush frame, twelve
pane hung sashes on either side of taller central window of fifteen panes.
Below is a central doorway with open modillion pediment on engaged Tuscan
columns. Panelled door with fanlight and radial glazing bars. A lower
service wing adjoins with two storey canted bays flanking the doorway in the
end wall. Stuccoed and roughcast walls with slate roof. The garden front is
of gault brick and has a range of five recessed hung sashes, shuttered, and a
central glazed doorway flanked by full length hung sashes. The site is
partly moated. The early C19 alterations to the house, the lodge, bridge,
Gothick summer house and garden shelter (q.v.) reflect the taste of the
Woodham family at the time. A bath house of similar period is now ruinous
(1985). Plans and elevations for the proposed alterations to the house by
Cockett and Nash are deposited in Cambridge Record Office. The original
scheme shows that the main front was on the south side. The drawings also
show that the bays at the east end of the service/office range were an
alteration to the proposed scheme. Tyrell's manor was acquired by William
Woodham in 1759. The Nash-Woodham family also owned Docwra's Manor, Shepreth
(q.v.).

V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. 5 p.256
R.C.H.M. Record Card (1949)
C.R.O.: 296/B.53


Listing NGR: TL3955047618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.