History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lambourne, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6442 / 51°38'39"N

Longitude: 0.1356 / 0°8'8"E

OS Eastings: 547859

OS Northings: 196093

OS Grid: TQ478960

Mapcode National: GBR QR.2VK

Mapcode Global: VHHMT.9XJY

Plus Code: 9F32J4VP+M6

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118663

Location: Lambourne, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Lambourne

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Lambourne with Abridge

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Theydon Bois


7/19a Parish church of St. Mary
20.2.67 and All Saints

GV 11*

Parish church, nave C12, chancel C13, both elaborately re-modelled with plaster
in early C18. Bell turret C15, and spire. organ chamber C19. Flint rubble
cement rendered externally with dressings of limestone, roof of handmade red
clay tiles. Bell turret timber framed and weatherboarded, spire clad with lead.
The chancel is superficially C18 except a small lancet window in the S wall,
blocked internally, cement rendered externally. The E window has a 4-centred
arch, without tracery, all plastered. There are 2 similar smaller windows in
the S wall and a lean-to organ chamber in the N wall. 2 tiebeams span the
chancel, elaborately plastered, with Greek key design on the soffits. A moulded
cornice of plaster probably conceals the original wallplates. The roof is a
barrel vault with cabled groins, all plaster. The chancel arch is semi-
elliptical, approx. 1.5 metres thick, indicating the junction between the C12
nave and C13 chancel. Externally it is of rusticated stone on the N, cement
rendered on the S. Internally it is elaborately plastered, with 4 scrolled
brackets and quatrefoils, diamonds and flowers on the soffit. The nave has 2
similar windows each side, each of one 2-centred light with 4-centred rear-arch
and wide splay, all plastered, and C18 wrought iron grills. The N wall has a
re-set C12 doorway, blocked. The jambs are of 2 orders, the inner square, the
outer formerly with free shafts of which only the scalloped capitals remain. The
outer order of the arch has chevron ornament; the inner order forms a tympanum
with a modern timber lintel with a patchwork of stones above, some of which are
set diagonally and enriched with axe-work. ii of the doorway is an original
round-headed window, blocked internally. The S wall has a re-set C12 doorway
with original plain voussoirs forming the tympanum arch. W of the doorway is an
original window similar to that in the N wall. In the W wall is a doorway dated
1726, with shallow hood on scrolled brackets and a window of the same date.
of the same date. The roof of the nave is plastered in 5 cants, probably
concealing a medieval timber frame. The nave is spanned by one tiebeam,
plastered with a Greek key design as in the chancel, supporting a crownpost
with 4 braces, all heavily plastered, diamonds on the shaft, acanthus on the
braces. There is a plaster cornice similar to that in the chancel. The bell
turret stands in the W end of the nave on 4 chamfered posts with 2 tiebeams
and one arched brace. Also at the W end is a panelled gallery on 4 carved
standards with gilt inscription on black paint to William Walker, citizen and
ironmonger of London, 1704, and recording other benefactions, and staircase with
turned balusters. On the S wall 2 areas of plaster have been removed to expose
wall paintings of c.1400, one of St. Christopher richly coloured. In the 2 W
windows of the chancel there are 5 small rectangular panels of Swiss glass
illustrating biblical scenes, with German inscriptions, shields of arms and
dates 1630-37. The pulpit is of 4 sides of an octagon, each side with 2 masoned
arches flanked by enriched pilasters and surrounded by an enriched frieze and
dentilled cornice, early C17, on a panelled base of c.1700. Stalls with
panelled backs, upper panels with carved and pierced foliage, c.1700. In the
chancel a brass of Robert Barfoot, 1546, and Kathryn his wife, with figures of
man in fur-lined gown and woman in pedimental head-dress, 9 sons and 10
daughters, shield of arms of the Mercers Company and a merchant's mark. In the
chancel a wall monument to Thomas Wynnyff, Dean of St. Paul's and Bishop of
Lincoln, 1654, and floor slabs to John Wynnyff, 1630, and Robert Bromfield,
1647, and others. There are numerous wall monuments to members of the Lockwood
family, C18 and C19. There are 3 bells by John Clifton, 1640, James Bartlet,
1684, and another. 'A church of quite exceptional charm and historical range'
(Pevsner, Essex, 256). See D.R. Curnocke: A Wall Painting In Lambourne Church,
Essex Naturalist, 29 (1952), 32 and plate 5, and E.C. Rouse: A Wall Painting
discovered in Lambourne Church, Essex Archaeology, 25 (1949-60), 101-2.

Listing NGR: TQ4785996093

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.