This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1037 / 52°6'13"N
Longitude: 0.0335 / 0°2'0"E
OS Eastings: 539369
OS Northings: 246990
OS Grid: TL393469
Mapcode National: GBR L8J.396
Mapcode Global: VHHKM.JDK4
Entry Name: Nunn's Manor
Listing Date: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165901
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52376
Location: Shepreth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Shepreth
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Shepreth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
SHEPRETH FROG END
TL 39 NE
(North east side)
Nunn's Manor (No. 65)
House. Mid C16 extended late C17. Timber-framed, plaster rendered. Tiled
roofs with C19 ridge stack and end stack. Double ended hall house. The
original principal elevation was on the south side. Two storeys with the
first floor of the east crosswing jettied on the south side. The jetty on
the north side of this crosswing is modern. The present windows and doorways
are all modern. The lobby entry doorway is a later insertion. There
probably was an original through passage in the east cross-wing. Internal
evidence exists for this. The west crosswing was extended on south side in
late C17 or early C18. Red brick. English bond rendered and tiled roof.
Probably a single room extension to the parlour end of the house. Inside:
Two bay hall with narrower chimney bay. Intersecting ceiling beams, stop
chamfered. The hearth was rebuilt in C19 and the material reused in C19 when
the house was converted to three cottages. Clunch and red brick with some
scratchings of C17. At ground floor on the North side all the ceiling beams
are extended by approximately two feet, though this does not occur in the tie
beams at first floor. The display truss has an arch braced tie beam. The
timbers of the clasped side purlin roof are substantial and uniform. The
roof over the fire bay has been rebuilt. The east crosswing has evidence of
d screen at ground floor, and in the original north wall, now internal, a
doorway which would have led to the cross-passage. In the same wall there
are two sites for the diamond mullions of an original window. Two bays. The
wall framing has close studwork and curved downward bracing, internal. The
roof is also of clasped side purlin type with paired wind bracing. The
scantling of the roof and wall timbers is uniform throughout the house.
There is some evidence for a window in the east wall of this crosswing. The
west crosswing which is towards the road is also of two bays. It may have
been jettied but this is now concealed by the late C17 brick extension.
There is a three-light window, now internal, in the south wall at ground
floor with bolection moulded mullions. At first floor there is similar close
studding in the partition wall between the chamber and the hall. The roof
over this crosswing incorporates reused material. The C17 extension to the
south is of one room only with an outshut on the west. The roof is of
similar type but with typical lighter timber. John Layer, the antiquarian
is reputed to have lived at this house.
Dr. W.M. Palmer: Chatteris Manor & John Layer (Cambs. & Hunts Arch. Society
1922) Cambs. Colln. c.44.3)
R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1949)
V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. 5 p.252
Listing NGR: TL3936946990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings