History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wynters Armourie

A Grade II* Listed Building in Magdalen Laver, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7522 / 51°45'7"N

Longitude: 0.1699 / 0°10'11"E

OS Eastings: 549880

OS Northings: 208174

OS Grid: TL498081

Mapcode National: GBR MG9.1SP

Mapcode Global: VHHMF.W7P2

Plus Code: 9F32Q529+VX

Entry Name: Wynters Armourie

Listing Date: 22 February 1952

Last Amended: 26 April 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118122

Location: Magdalen Laver, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Magdalen Laver

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: High Laver with Magdalene Laver and Little Laver

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


TL 40 NE MAGDALEN LAYER Wynter's Armourie
4/52 (formerly listed as
22.2.52 Winters)

Hall house, C13/14, altered in C16, restored c.1935. Timber framed, plastered
with frame wholly exposed, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Hall of 3 bays
aligned approx. E-W, with entrance bay and incomplete spere truss at E end,
aspect S. Inserted axial chimney stack in middle bay, C16. 2-bay parlour/solar
crosswing at W end, with C19 external chimney stack on W side. 2-bay crosswing
at E end, C16. Rear service wing opposite axial chimney stack, C16, with C20
chimney stack at end, and C20 single storey extension with hipped roof beyond.
Stair tower with lean-to roof at rear of hall/parlour partition, C16. Single
storey lean-to extension between this and service wing, C20. Small glazed porch
at E end, C20. 2 storeys with attics. S elevation, ground floor, central door,
C20, in tiled gabled porch. 4 C20 casement windows. First floor, 3 C20
casement windows, and another in gabled dormer over E bay of hall. Facade gable
over W bay of hall. 3 small C20 casement windows on attic floor, one in each
gable. Axial chimney stack has grouped diagonal shafts, cement rendered. Much
of the frame is exposed internally. The hall is of unusual construction, the
only close parallel known being at the Old Parsonage, Marlow, Bucks. (Journal
of B.A.A., third series, 12, 54-55). It is intermediate in development between
the true aisled hall and derivatives of it such as the raised aisled hall and
the base cruck hall (c.A.Hewett: Aisled timber halls and related buildings,
chiefly in Essex, Trans. Ancient Monuments Society, 21, 1976, 55-6). Square-set
arcade plates are supported at the ends by arcade posts with arched braces, but
in the main truss the posts are omitted. A tiebeam with arched braces is set
below the heads of the posts. Principal rafters rise from the post heads to a
steeply cranked collar, with richly moulded arch braces to it. The arcade
plates penetrate the tops of these principals, with arched wind braces in the
pitch of the roof. There is evidence of a former crownpost on the collar, and
some common rafters remain in position, all the roof timbers being heavily
smoke-blackened. Not all of this structure is still present, but where
components have been removed or severed for later alterations the evidence for
them is clear. The roof of the W bay has been rebuilt to accommodate facade
gables at front and back and an attic floor, and the eastern part has been
charred by fire damage, C20. Part of the N doorhead is present, of 4-centred
curvature. The inserted floor in the W bay of the hall is divided laterally
into 2 distinct areas, the joists of the E part pt plain-chamfered with concave-
plus-bar stops, the joists of the W part unchamfered. This implies that
originally the W part only was plastered to the soffits, the more fashionable
treatment of the C16, reserved for the 'high end', above the inner household
sitting at table. The winding stair to the upper floor is mainly original, with
some C20 repair. The W crosswing has a central tiebeam with chamfered arch
braces, and an inserted tiebeam with queen struts in the N bay. The E crosswing
has cranked tension braces in the rear wall and arch braces in the side walls.
Many original floor boards remain in situ. The rear wing has an open queen
strut roof. There is one C17 wrought iron casement with C20 leaded glass in the
W wall, first floor level. Old photographs show that the house was lathed and
plastered externally before the restoration of c.1935. Comprehensive set of
photographs at NMR. RCHM 8. Moated site.

Listing NGR: TL4988008174

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.