This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7464 / 51°44'47"N
Longitude: 0.1792 / 0°10'45"E
OS Eastings: 550538
OS Northings: 207550
OS Grid: TL505075
Mapcode National: GBR MG9.J3Q
Mapcode Global: VHHMG.2C2J
Plus Code: 9F32P5WH+HM
Entry Name: Humphreys Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118109
Location: Magdalen Laver, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
Civil Parish: Magdalen Laver
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: High Laver with Magdalene Laver and Little Laver
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 505 076 MAGDALEN LAVER . . -
5/27 Huwphreys Farmhouse
House, mainly c.1600, incorporating late medieval crosswing, altered c.1975.
Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Aligned
approx. E-4l, aspect S. At E end, service crosswing of a late medieval hall
house, of which the remainder has gone, Chimney stack, late C16, with 2 hearths
facing W, backing on to the medieval cross-entry still in use. Range of 3 bays
to W, on the site of the medieval hall and parlour and following the same plan.
Stair tower to rear of hall/parlour partition, with pitched roof, c.1600.
Service wing to rear-of crosswing, early C17, with chimney stack at end. Lean-
to extension to E of this, with catslide roof, and small lean-to extension to
N of it, C20. 2 small lean-to extensions between service wing and stair tower.
2 storeys. S elevation, glazed door in tiled gabled porch, and 3-window range
of casements, all c.1975. Jowled posts, walls close-studded but now visible
only within rear lean-to. Beams plain-chamfered with lamb's tongue stops.
winding stair in rear tower mainly original, blocked window at top of W side.
Brickwork of main stack much altered at ground floor, but on first floor
retaining hearth with depressed arch and chamfered jambs, originally plastered,
now stripped. On W wall of 'hall', strip of c.1600 panelling forming the
original back of settle, seat missing. Floor of crosswing rebuilt, with RSJ
on line of former partition. Positions of twin service doors identifiable,
doorheads missing. Cambered central tiebeam with arched braces. Edge-halved
and bridled scarf in E wallplate. Roof not accessible when inspected but
believed to be of crownpost construction originally, rebuilt c.1600. In rear
wing, cast iron door of bread oven in NE corner of stack, most of oven
demolished. Mantel beam raised approx. 30cm. c.1975, for use as alcove.
Listing NGR: TL5053807550
Other nearby listed buildings