This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6037 / 50°36'13"N
Longitude: -3.6428 / 3°38'34"W
OS Eastings: 283840
OS Northings: 79503
OS Grid: SX838795
Mapcode National: GBR QN.NCRZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 378G.SRD
Entry Name: Frost Farmhouse
Listing Date: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165929
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84548
Location: Hennock, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Hennock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 87 NW
5/103 Frost Farmhouse
Farmhouse and flat. C17 or earlier, with later additions. Roughcast solid walls;
the front wall is said to be of stone in ground storey with cob above, the rear wing
wholly of cob. Roof thatched with wheat reed; the lower layer was left on at the
last re-thatching. Added range to left is asbestos-slated, and added lean-to at
rear has roof of corrugated asbestos. In right-hand gable a large projecting
chimneystack with off-sets; later shaft on top. On ridge to left are 2 rendered
chimneyshafts, 1 on original left-hand gable, 1 on left-hand gable of later
addition. In rear gable of rear wing a projecting stack with added shaft. 2-room
and through-passage plan with rear kitchen wing at right-angles to main range, on
right-hand side. Early or mid C19 addition to left of main range; added lean-to at
rear. 2 storeys; the added lean-to single-storeyed. Roughly symmetrical front, 3
windows wide, to the old house. Door in centre of ground storey is 6-panelled, the
4 lower panels flush, the 2 top panels now glazed; flat hood above, on shaped
brackets. Windows are all C19 wood casements of 4 lights, except for the slightly
off-centre second-storey window which is of 3 lights; all lights are of 3 panes.
Addition to left has one 10-paned sash window without horns in each storey. Short
length of C19 cast-iron railing in front of garden, the uprights with twisted shafts
Interior: right-hand ground-storey room has chamfered ceiling-beams, 1 with a
scroll-stop visible. Gable-fireplace (now with small C20 chimneypiece) is said to
be large with old wood lintel. In rear wing the large gable-fireplace in kitchen
has chamfered wood lintel with rounded step-stops. There is no solid wall between
the wing and main range, suggesting they may be of a single build. Roof of wing has
a side-pegged jointed-cruck truss. Trusses of main range are heavily plastered
over, but one seems to have a curved foot. The front wall has clearly been raised
and secondary roof-timbers inserted. The apex of roof-space is not accessible. The
farm was formerly called Cridiford.
Source: Cecil Torr, Bovey Tracey. Church-Rates and Poor-Rates, 1596-1729, privately
printed, 1928, p.7.
Listing NGR: SX8384079503
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings