This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.554 / 52°33'14"N
Longitude: -0.2783 / 0°16'41"W
OS Eastings: 516826
OS Northings: 296516
OS Grid: TL168965
Mapcode National: GBR GYJ.VWL
Mapcode Global: VHGKW.427G
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 13 December 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166191
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50248
Location: Orton Longueville, Peterborough, PE2
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Orton Longueville
Built-Up Area: Peterborough
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Orton Longieville with Bottlebridge
Church of England Diocese: Ely
5141 ORTON LONGUEVILLE THE VILLAGE
Church of The Holy Trinity
TL 1696 54/455 13.12.57
Essentially a Decorated church, built from circa 1275 although the bases of
the nave arcades are circa 1240. Coursed stone rubble with freestone dressings
and with lead roofs. Nave clerestory windows have 2 trefoiled lights with
square heads. North aisle has early C14 2-light depressed with arch windows
and doorway. Wide south aisle has 2 early C14 east windows with 3 stepped
lancets under one arch, the centre one with ogee head. South windows are
C17 reconstructions with reused materials, almost semi circular arched with
C19 tracery, the other windows of the south aisle similar to those of north
aisle. South porch dated 1675 with C15 roof reset in 1675. Chancel has embattled
parapet and mid C14 five-light east window with reticulated tracery, late
C13 north window and 3-light south window flanked by niches with cusped heads,
2-light window with transom and ogee arched south door. North chapel has
reset late C13 east window and rebuilt north wall with reset C14 windows.
Circa 1300 or early C14 west tower heightened in C15 3 stages angle buttresses
with set-offs on north-west and south-west corners and wide corner buttresses
on north-east and south-east corners also with set-offs, quatrefoil opening
in second stage and cusped lancet on west side, C15 2-light bell openings
and embattled parapet.
Interior: Decorated 3 bay north and south arcades with double chamfered arches
and octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Treble chamfered tower arch and
double chamfered chancel arch. Chapel arch to chancel has double hollow chamfers.
South door of chancel has early C14 foliated iron hinges. Late C19 roofs.
C15 octagonal font with panelled bowl and stem. Four hatchments in north
chapel of late C18/early C19 date. Early C16 painting in north aisle, of
St Christopher. Two circa 1300 piscinae in chancel and north chapel with
trefoiled heads. C15 bell. Some C13 fragments of stained glass. Monuments:
late C13 knight effigy. Elizabeth Talbot 1629 black marble table top on albaster
legs, with arched back panel. Lady Mary Seymour by Chantrey 1827 seated woman.
Countess of Aboyne 1830 decorated tomb chest with canopy. RCHM (1) page 69.
Listing NGR: TL1682696516
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings