This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6731 / 50°40'22"N
Longitude: -3.4056 / 3°24'20"W
OS Eastings: 300771
OS Northings: 86874
OS Grid: SY007868
Mapcode National: GBR P4.99TP
Mapcode Global: FRA 37R9.921
Entry Name: Gilbrook House, Including House Adjoining South-West
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166230
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88621
Location: Woodbury, East Devon, Devon, EX5
Civil Parish: Woodbury
Built-Up Area: Woodbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Woodbury with Exton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 08 NW WOODBURY GILBROOK (east side), Woodbury
2/110 Gilbrook House, including house
11.11.52 adjoining south-west
Detached house. Circa 1800 but incorporating the cob walls of an earlier building
of indeterminate date. Plastered cob on stone footings, the 1st floor timber
framed with lath and plaster infill; Kingsbridge slate gabled-end roof. Possibly a
3-room, cross-passage house plan which was completely re-organised and heightened
in circa 1800; single depth with 2 later rear wings of brick construction. 2 rear
stacks with brick shafts; traces of a left-hand end stack were uncovered during
repairs in 1967 (photographs in possession of occupier). 2 storeys.
Front: almost symmetrical 5 window range; modillion cornice; 1st floor: three 12-
pane hornless sashes alternating with 2 tripartite 4:16:4 pane hornless sashes;
ground floor with central doorcase under broken pediment, with pilasters (decorated
with paterae), panelled reveals and soffit to round-headed arch; fielded panel door
with traceried semi-circular fanlight. Tripartite sash (as above) and 12-pane sash
window to left, tripartite sash and another doorway to right. Rusticated quoins,
that to the right set back a little from the angle; similarly the cornice does not
extend exactly to the right-hand corner.
Rear: wings with some sash windows under segmental window arches.
Interior: some circa 1800 joinery including fielded panel doors; the main reception
room with 2 round-headed alcoves to rear wall.
Attached to the house is a substantial cob barn with a pantiled gabled-end roof.
One of the front garden walls (forming the rear wall of an adjacent building) is
decorated with 6 small, and 2 large brick round-headed recesses.
Reference: Ursula W Brighouse, Woodbury, A View from the Beacon, (1981), pp. 239,
Listing NGR: SY0080886934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings