This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4442 / 54°26'39"N
Longitude: -1.716 / 1°42'57"W
OS Eastings: 418513
OS Northings: 505458
OS Grid: NZ185054
Mapcode National: GBR JKG1.8N
Mapcode Global: WHC66.MK1C
Entry Name: The Old Parsonage
Listing Date: 21 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166595
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323321
Location: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Gilling St Agatha
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
GILLING WITH HARTFORTH HIGH STREET
NZ 1805-1905 AND SEDBURY (east side)
14/107 No 122 (The Old
House. Late C17 with later alterations. For the Whartons of Gillingwood.
Rubble, pantile roofs. Cruciform plan; 2 storeys, 1:1:1 bays, with central
projecting 2-storey porch, and matching rear stair turret, also C20 rear
extensions. Quoins to main range and porch. Openings have brick flat
arches. On ground floor of porch, 4-panel door below overlight. Sash
windows with glazing bars and exposed sash boxes. On left-hand corner, an
old wrought-iron lamp bracket. Hipped roof to porch. Ashlar coping. End
stacks, that to left external, having also been extended outwards in brick.
Small single-storey extension recessed to right, with stone slate roof and
ashlar coping to right. The building was rented by successive C18 vicars
from the Wharton family, who were patrons of the living at Gilling.
Laybourn K, Historical Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, North
Yorkshire, (1979), pp 10, 11, 14, 30.
Listing NGR: NZ1850905452
Other nearby listed buildings