This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9423 / 51°56'32"N
Longitude: -2.5102 / 2°30'36"W
OS Eastings: 365025
OS Northings: 227210
OS Grid: SO650272
Mapcode National: GBR FV.MXMK
Mapcode Global: VH86C.FFTW
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 25 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 154327
Location: Upton Bishop, County of Herefordshire, HR9
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Upton Bishop
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Upton Bishop
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
UPTON BISHOP CP -
SO 62 NE
5/69 Church of St John
Parish church. C12 nave and arcade of south aisle, C13 chancel, C14 south
porch and rebuilding of south aisle, west tower c1400; restoration of 1862
and south vestry added in 1880. Sandstone rubble; stone slate roof. West
tower, nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel and south vestry.
West tower: three stages, stepped diagonal buttressing, two string courses;
plain parapet. Trefoil-headed light with square-headed surround to second
stage, two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil to belfry. South aisle:
two trefoiled-ogee headed lights to square-headed window to left with
similar 3-light window to right of south porch. Two cinquefoil-headed lights
with quatrefoil to east window of south aisle; trefoiled-ogee-headed light
to west window. South porch: gabled with raised verge. Two-centred outer
doorway with two chamfered orders, inner dying into responds. Single trefoil-
headed lights to returns. Chancel: two trefoiled-ogee-headed lights with quatre-
foil to left partly obscured by C19 octagonal vestry; similar 2-light window
to right of vestry. East window: early C13 lancets flanking later inserted
C14 window of two trefoiled-ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil. Interior: tall
tower arch, two moulded orders; south aisle arcade: three-bay 2-centre-headed
arches with drum piers, moulded bases and capitals with trumpet and folial
type enrichment, largely restored. Blocked C12 doorway in north wall of nave
with semi-circular head. Moulded reveals to lancets at east end of chancel.
Fittings: C14 font, faceted stem with octagonal bowl, quatrefoil panels to
each side. C17 pulpit, hexagonal with enriched arcaded panels. Monuments:
south aisle recess with segmental pointed arch and chamfered jambs, male
effigy in contemporary costume with square object in hands; recess flanked
by trefoiled ogee-headed piscinae. Incorporated into south wall of chancel
are fragments of sculptural reliefs said to be fragments of a Roman tombstone.
(RCHM, Vol II, p 192-194; BoE, p 304).
Listing NGR: SO6502327212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings