This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0725 / 54°4'20"N
Longitude: -1.9961 / 1°59'45"W
OS Eastings: 400352
OS Northings: 464062
OS Grid: SE003640
Mapcode National: GBR GPHB.NW
Mapcode Global: WHB6P.9WQT
Entry Name: Congregational Church
Listing Date: 23 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324769
Location: Grassington, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Grassington
Built-Up Area: Grassington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
GRASSINGTON GARRS LANE
SE 0064- 0164
(south side, off)
Chapel. Dated 1811. Gritstone rubble, rendered on front and left return,
graduated stone slate roof. A tall 2-storey building of 3 x 3 bays: C20
windows throughout. Entrance front: incised angle pilasters. Board doors
to left and right, each having fanlight with radial glazing bars and round-
arched architraves with tie-stone jambs, keystone and hoodmould.
Rectangular window between them in stone surround, a plaque above with the
inscription "Congregational Church AD 1811" under a sun-ray moulding. 3
windows in plain surrounds to upper storey; stone gutter brackets, kneelers
and gable coping, short ridge stack to right. Left and right returns: 2
tiers of 3 rectangular windows the same size as those to entrance front.
Interior: both entrances are into a boarded inner porch with a wooden
staircase opening off, giving access to the balcony. An inner door opens
into the chapel, with raised platform on the north-east side and 6 slender
cast-iron columns supporting the balcony on the other 3 sides. The balcony
is original, with raised panels, fluted pilasters and dentilled cornice.
The balcony area is now closed off from the main body of the hall but
retains its 5 or 6 tiers of benches and pews with balustraded partitions
and fielded panels to the doors. There is a memorial on the north wall to
Robert Harper, the minister reponsible for the building, who died in 1829
after 40 years in the ministry. Rendering possibly applied when the
infants school added to rear in 1857. Non-conformity grew rapidly in
Grassington after John Wesley's visits in 1780-82. The chapel was built by
the Independents and the first service held on Christmas Day 1811, a period
when the population was expanding rapidly due to the influx of leadminers
to the Yarnbury mines. S. Brookes, A History of Grassington, 1979, p49.
Listing NGR: SE0035264062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings