This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8192 / 50°49'9"N
Longitude: -1.581 / 1°34'51"W
OS Eastings: 429612
OS Northings: 102269
OS Grid: SU296022
Mapcode National: GBR 65Y.H48
Mapcode Global: FRA 76KX.ZVG
Entry Name: Church of St Saviours
Listing Date: 13 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167015
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144353
Location: Brockenhurst, New Forest, Hampshire, SO42
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Brockenhurst
Built-Up Area: Brockenhurst
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Brockenhurst St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 20 SE BROCKENHURST WILVERLEY ROAD
9/10 Church of St Saviours
Parish church (to old Rhinefield Parish). 1895-1903 by WH Romaine-Walker and
Besant, left unfinished but opened 1905, as parish church for Rhinefield, for
Walker-Munros, finished 1961. Squared Purbeck stone, Bath stone, unfinished
west end in concrete bricks, stone flag roof, ashlar stone work internally.
Plan of chancel with north-west organ chamber/ and south chapel/vestry, and 5
bay aisled nave with south west porch, in Decorated style. Chancel has to east
5-light Reticulated window, stepped angle buttresses with octagonal turrets over
on gable wall. On each side wall ½-way up, projecting walkways of galleries
with lancets, supported on arches forming arcade on walls, hidden to south by vestry,
Nave has to east octagonal turrets surmounted by octagonal turret finials under
low pitched roof behind parapet. 2-light trefoiled windows with Reticulated heads.
Large south-west porch with roof continuing from aisle. 3-order pointed door,
canopied niche over, and diagonal corner buttresses. West end very much simplified
work done in 1960. Inside only chancel nearly completed and even then all
projected ornamental carving was left undone. Impressive stone reredos and striking
galleries on each side.
Listing NGR: SP3001602288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings