This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9429 / 50°56'34"N
Longitude: -1.1338 / 1°8'1"W
OS Eastings: 460952
OS Northings: 116298
OS Grid: SU609162
Mapcode National: GBR 98Z.VJY
Mapcode Global: FRA 86JM.04C
Plus Code: 9C2WWVV8+5F
Entry Name: Maypole Cottage
Listing Date: 7 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 146564
Location: Soberton, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32
Civil Parish: Soberton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Soberton
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 61 NW SOBERTON COLE HILL
1888/7/55 Maypole Cottage
House. Circa 1450; remodelled circa 1600 and C18; extended circa mid C20. Timber-frame clad in header bond red and vitrefied brick, English bond at rear. Clay plain tile hipped roof. Red brick axial stack with staggered shafts.
PLAN: 4-bay timber-framed house, two centre bays open hall with screens passage at low left [N] end of hall. Left [N] service end and right [S] parlour each had chambers above. In about 1600 a large stack was built in the low end bay of the hall replacing the screens passage by a lobby entry. The stack has back-to-back fireplaces, but the high end bay of the hall might have remained open for a period before it was also floored in the C17. In the C17 much of the wall-framing was replaced in brick and an outshut was built on the low end. In about the mid C20 a wing was built at the rear of the low end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window west front; recessed red brick panels between upper and lower windows, flat brick arches to ground floor windows; C20 casements; doorway to left of centre with plank door and tiled canopy. South end has flint plinth with English bond brickwork above. Rear east also English bond brick, patch of flint, half dormer, C20 French window and C20 brick wing on right. North end has exposed storey-post and brace on NE corner and lean-to roof over outshut.
INTERIOR: Low end service room [N] has large unchamfered joists and fireplace with chamfered Tudor arch. Entrance lobby has groove in soffit of former screen head-beam. Hall has fireplace with chamfered Tudor arch timber fireplace and moulded axial beam. Parlour has unchamfered joists and evidence of ladder stairs to solar. Straight staircase in low bay of hall with C17 balustrade with turned balusters and moulded rail. Wall-plate, jowled posts and trusses exposed in chambers. Arch-braced tie-beam trusses with central post and curved struts to cambered collars with clasped side purlins and curved wind-braces. The hall's central truss has chamfered arch-braces and spurs in the spandrels. The hall bays are smoke-blackened, and the inserted wattle infil in the hall truss is also blackened. Common-rafter couples intact. The tie-beam of the hall/service end truss has been raised and a panelled partition inserted underneath.
SOURCE: Roberts, E., Survey Report, August 1997.
Listing NGR: SU6095216293
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings