This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3975 / 52°23'51"N
Longitude: 0.2623 / 0°15'44"E
OS Eastings: 554018
OS Northings: 280128
OS Grid: TL540801
Mapcode National: GBR M6H.M4W
Mapcode Global: VHHJ6.HZJY
Plus Code: 9F4297X6+2W
Entry Name: Guest Quarters of the Monastery
Listing Date: 23 June 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167322
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48698
Location: Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Ely
Built-Up Area: Ely
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ely
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Tagged with: Architectural structure
Guest Quarters of the Monastery
The guest quarters of the monastery, now part of King's School, comprises two ranges of buildings extending south from the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House) and backing on to The Gallery, two storeys and attics. The north range, of eight bays, is late Norman circa 1180 built of Carr stone rubble with Barnack stone dressings. Originally it was probably used as a granary. In the C14 it was considerably altered when it became the guest quarters and an upper storey was inserted (in the northern half). The front is divided by flat pilasters weathered on top and some with original gargoyles. The northern part has a trefoil arched corbel table on the west side. The ground storey lids a fine vaulted undercroft with ribs springing from a central row of octagonal pillars without capitals. On the west side the windows on the first storey are C14 trefoil headed lancers and the undercroft is lit by paired trefoil headed windows. A stone stringcourse runs above the undercroft windows. The east side has C19 and C20 windows and a good late Norman doorway with a semi-circular arch above a segmental arch and two orders of columns with waterleaf capitals. The south range was built in the C14, shortly after the north range was completed and is divided into five bays by buttresses with two offsets and weathered at the top. It is built of Carr stone rubble with Northamptonshire stone dressings, with a parapet, stringcourse and a plinth. The windows are single lights with double-chamfered reveals, cusped heads and hood moulds. The undercroft is brick vaulted. On the east side a C14 external covered staircase wing projects at the north end. Roofs tiled, with original heavy trussed rafters carried over both ranges.
The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta. Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's Palace), The Gallery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity.
Listing NGR: TL5401880128
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings