This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3966 / 52°23'47"N
Longitude: 0.2621 / 0°15'43"E
OS Eastings: 554008
OS Northings: 280029
OS Grid: TL540800
Mapcode National: GBR M6H.M30
Mapcode Global: VHHJD.H1F2
Entry Name: Ely Porta
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48703
Location: Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Ely
Built-Up Area: Ely
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ely
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 5479 2/5 25.9.50.
Ely Porta was begun in 1397 and was completed by Prior Poucher (140l-18).
It comprises a large, rectangular, 5 storey block of rag-stone with Weldon
(or similar) stone dressings. 4 square, castellated, corner turrets are
carried above the parapet level. On the north and south ends there is
the original castellated parapet and on the east and west fronts there
is a later plain brick parapet. A large central carriage way rises through
2 storeys with a wide single 4-centred arch on the east front and 2 4-centred
arches on the west front one for carriages and the other, smaller, for
pedestrians. The vaulting on the inside is incomplete. The windows on
the east and west fronts are similar in design. On each front, above the
carriageway, on the 2nd storey there is a pointed arched, 3-light, window
with curvilinear tracery lighting what was the Bishop's court room. The
flanking ranges of windows are 2-light with cusped arched heads and square
hood moulds, except on the ground storey on the north end of the west front
which has a small single light window lighting what was the Bishop's prison
and, according to prison reports, was in use as such up to the end of the
Cl7 when the prison was moved to Lynn Road, The 2nd storey on the west
front has 4 canopied niches. String courses run between the storeys and
beneath the parapet. Roof tiled, hipped, a later replacement of the original
flat leaded roof.
The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House),
Wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery,
Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House
(Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the
garden of the Prior's house, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery
and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls
to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's
Palace), The Gallery.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.
Listing NGR: TL5400880029
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings