This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0341 / 52°2'2"N
Longitude: -2.0215 / 2°1'17"W
OS Eastings: 398621
OS Northings: 237303
OS Grid: SO986373
Mapcode National: GBR 2KN.KQ6
Mapcode Global: VHB14.X45G
Entry Name: Norman Cottage
Listing Date: 30 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148497
Location: Beckford, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Beckford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
BECKFORD CP GRAFTON
SO 9837 - 9937
11/45 12/9 Norman Cottage
Chapel, now house. C12 with mid-C17, mid-C19 and mid-C20 alterations.
Limestone rubble with thatched roof. Rectangular plan having large C17
external chimney with offsets and partly rebuilt ashlar stack adjoining
to south-west. Single storey and attic with dormers. South front elevation:
two ground floor 2-light C19 casements, two eyebrow dormers with 2-light C19
casements; lean-to C20 glazed porch to left of centre, adjacent to external
chimney, with ledged and battened door within. East gable end incorporates
a C12 archway. In west gable end is an attic light above which survives
the jambs of a former C12 opening. There are also the remains of another
C12 opening beneath the eaves in the north wall. C20 brick lean-to outshut
at west gable end. Interior: C12 east archway has survived. On ground
floor the shafted jambs with moulded bases and cushion capitals are visible.
On attic floor detailing of archway survives intact and has a cable moulding
to the abaci, a double-quirked angle roll and a quirked hollow chamfered hood-
mould. The C12 north, west and east walls survive and are 2 feet 8 inches
thick and there is a splayed base to the west gable. The south wall was
rebuilt in the C17, a few feet north of the original wall when the building
was converted to a dwelling. It is recorded as being the nave of the former
chapel at Grafton which was broken into by local men and damaged beyond repair
in 1543. Excavations have revealed the foundations of the chancel and the
original plan of the nave. [W H Knowles: The Recently Discovered Church at
Grafton near Beckford and the Churches of Great Washbourne and Stoke Orchard,
Transcriptions of the Bristol and Gloucester Archaeological Society, Vol XLIII:
VCH 8, p 259 and 261 (Gloucs)].
Listing NGR: SO9862137303
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings