This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9311 / 53°55'52"N
Longitude: -2.1513 / 2°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 390161
OS Northings: 448345
OS Grid: SD901483
Mapcode National: GBR FQFZ.1J
Mapcode Global: WHB7C.XGQ5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167634
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324519
Location: Thornton in Craven, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Thornton in Craven
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 9748 THORNTON-IN-CRAVEN CHURCH ROAD
9/141 Church of St Mary
Church, probably early C16 (Whitaker records an inscription, of 1510 on tower).
West tower, and nave, chancel and aisles under one roof. Rubble to nave, large
dressed stones to tower, stone slate roof. The aisle walls are of four bays but not
all windowed: short offset buttresses. Windows are straight-headed with round arched
lights, 2 or 3 lights each. The east aisle windows (of 3 lights) have hoodmoulds
with crude faces carved on the stops. The east chancel window has five cusped lights
The tower has a 3-light window at ground level and 3-light louvred belfry windows.
Diagonal buttresses. On the nave side a steep roof coping is visible to a previous
nave roof. Interior has continuous double chamfered arcades on octagonal piers.
Late C19 or early C20 woodwork, and crucifixion east window of 1898 by Kempe. Heavy
balustered communion rail is late C17 or early C18.
T D Whitaker, History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, 1812
Listing NGR: SD9016348345
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings