This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8261 / 53°49'33"N
Longitude: -1.2787 / 1°16'43"W
OS Eastings: 447575
OS Northings: 436883
OS Grid: SE475368
Mapcode National: GBR MSH6.Y6
Mapcode Global: WHDBN.B3B6
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326365
Location: Saxton with Scarthingwell, Selby, North Yorkshire, LS24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Saxton with Scarthingwell
Built-Up Area: Saxton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saxton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SAXTON WITH SCARTHINGWELL MAIN STREET
SE 43 NE
3/27 Church of All Saints
Church. C11 nave and chancel with C14 south chapel, and early C15 tower
with restorations and additions of 1876 and 1907 and later additions. West
tower. 2-bay nave with 2-bay chapel to south, south porch, 2-bay chancel
with vestry to north. 2-stage tower has chamfered plinth incorporating
remains of grave slab with incised cross and diagonal off-set buttresses.
To south side a narrow, round-arched plank door in chamfered surround. To
west end a stepped 3-light window with cinquefoil heads under hood-mould.
To upper stage a twin-light belfry opening with cinquefoil heads under hood-
moulds. Corbel table supports battlements with pinnacles. Nave, south
side: angle buttress; south porch has elliptical-arched opening. Round-
arched south door within chamfered arch on shafts with waterleaf capitals;
to west of entrance porch a 3-cinquefoil-light, straight-headed window to
east a slit window. South chapel: diagonal buttresses, 2-light windows with
geometrical tracery that to west recut; chapel shows signs of heightening.
North aisle: angle and centre off-set buttresses; 2 restored 2-light windows
with geometrical tracery. Chancel: angle buttresses, to south side 2
pointed lancets, to north side a slit window and C19 vestry. East end has 3
C19 stepped lancets. Interior: pointed tower arch with double-chamfered
head. 2-bay pointed and double-chamfered arcade to nave with cylindrical
pier. Round chancel arch and restored round-arched opening to right.
Chancel has pointed priest's door and remains of round-arched opening.
Medieval octagonal font on probably C19 base. Monuments include 4 C17
tombstones to members of the Hungate family, 3 with coats of arms now set
into chancel walls. Late C18 monuments to Lord and Lady Hawke with carving
in relief by I F Moore. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p 431.
Listing NGR: SE4757836886
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings