This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2067 / 54°12'24"N
Longitude: -0.9738 / 0°58'25"W
OS Eastings: 467030
OS Northings: 479481
OS Grid: SE670794
Mapcode National: GBR PMMS.ZS
Mapcode Global: WHFB0.0JKF
Entry Name: Nunnington Hall
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329304
Location: Nunnington, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Nunnington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Nunnington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
NUNNINGTON THE AVENUE
(east side, off)
9/41 Nunnington Hall
(formerly listed with garden
walls and gate piers)
Hall. Original house probably mid C16, for Dr Robert Huickes; remodelled
c1600 by Thomas Norcliffe; refronted on south side and extension added c1685
by Richard Graham, 1st Viscount Preston; porch, rear service range and water
tower added, and further minor alterations in 1921 by Walter Brierley, for
Col and f4rs Fife. C16 build in coursed rubble stone; remainder in dressed
sandstone with sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings; stone slate roof.
South front. 2 storeys, 5 bays, flanked by 2-storey and attic, 2-window
gabled cross wings; 2-storey, 1-window quoined extension at left. Central
C20 glazed door in eared architrave with broken pediment containing
cartouche. Above, first-floor glazed double doors open on to a balcony with
wrought-iron balustrade of twisted bars and scrolled centre section. Eared
door architrave with broken segmental pediment containing a renewed
cartouche of the Preston arms. All ground- and first-floor windows are
unequal 15-pane sashes, and cross-wing attic windows are 12-pane sashes.
All have eared architraves and moulded sills. Lead rainwater heads and
drainpipes with ornate clamps in re-entrant angles. On return wall of each
cross wing are pairs of hinged wrought-iron brackets. Small C20 roof
lights. Coped gables, shaped kneelers and ball finials to cross wings.
Extension has blocked window architrave on each floor, eaves band and plain
parapet with moulded coping to flat roof. West front: 2-storey and attic,
1-window gable end of C16 house at left: c1600 extension at right 2 storeys
and attic, 3 bays; late C17 2-storey, 1-window extension projects at far
right. 1-storey porch in C16 part contains C20 panelled door. 2-light
mullion-and-transom window at left of porch. Similar 3-light window over
door, and 2-light mullion window in attic. All have square lattice glazing
and flat hoodmoulds. Gable end stack. c1600 front has external stack at
centre flanked by 3-light mullion-and-transom windows to ground amd first
floors and to gabled dormers. At far right late C17 addition, added in
front of a second external stack, has a 15-pane sash in eared architrave on
each floor. Dormer gables coped with ball finials. Both stacks water-
tabled at eaves level. East front: 2 storeys and attic, 6 bays with
irregular fenestration; 1-storey, 5-window quoined extension at right.
Left-of-centre C20 panelled door in door case of bolstered blocks with
cornice hood, flanked by unequal 15-pane sashes in double-chamfered
openings. Continuous hoodmould. 15-pane sashes on first floor, and gabled
dormer with mullion-and-transom window, all with hoodmoulds. Water-tabled
projecting stacks at each side. At far right, double-chamfered openings
contain single-light window on ground floor, mullion-and-transom window on
first floor, and 2-light mullion window on second floor, all with square
lattice glazing. Coped gables and shaped kneelers. Right end stack.
Extension has 12-pane sashes and flat dormer with square lattice glazing.
Right-of-centre stack to roof hipped at right. North side: wing of original
C16 house projects at right. Chamfered surround of ground-floor window
survives. Interior. Dining room (ground-floor room at left end) chimney-
piece and overmantel with 2 tiers of pilasters; bolection-moulded panelling.
Ground-floor room of extension has ceiling paintings on canvas representing
the arms of Viscount Preston and his wife Lady Anne Howard. Oak Hall has an
elaborately carved stone chimney-piece with Lord and Lady Preston's joint
coat of arms. Finely crafted pedimented door cases, wall panelling and
arcaded stairwell screen survive. Geometrical-patterned stone floor.
Closed-string, open well staircase with dumb-bell balusters, moulded
handrail and sunk-panelled newels; replacement pine stair treads. First
floor: drawing room chimney-piece and overmantel with Ionic pilasters. For
full interior description, see National Trust Guidebook. C Hussey,
"Nunnington Hall, Yorkshire", Country Life, 4 Feb 1928, pp 148-155.
Listing NGR: SE6703079481
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings