History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wall Approximately 90 Metres West of Wembury House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Knighton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3243 / 50°19'27"N

Longitude: -4.0659 / 4°3'57"W

OS Eastings: 253035

OS Northings: 49189

OS Grid: SX530491

Mapcode National: GBR NZ.XZDM

Mapcode Global: FRA 28C5.PSY

Entry Name: Wall Approximately 90 Metres West of Wembury House

Listing Date: 19 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169185

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100474

Location: Wembury, South Hams, Devon, PL9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Wembury

Built-Up Area: Knighton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Wembury

Listing Text

SX 54 NW WEMBURY
8/195
Wall approximately
90 metres west of
Wembury House

GV II*


Large wall possibly defensive which is all that survives of a late C16 mansion.
Circa late C16. Enormous rampart faced in stone rubble with granite dressings, with
a grassed walk on top. The outer (west) revetment wall has buttresses with set-offs,
and moulded saddle-back coping. Eastern side also buttressed but without stone
coping. The eastern side has a flight of steps leading down to a lawn in front of
the house. The house (Wembury House qv) was built on the site of a great mansion of
Sir John Hele who bought the estate in 1592 and built what was reputedly an enormous
house of which only this wall survives. It is said to have been a fortification
against pirates because of its proximity to the coast.


Listing NGR: SX5303549189

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SX 54 NW WEMBURY
8/195
Wall approximately
90 metres west of
Wembury House

GV II*


Large wall possibly defensive which is all that survives of a late C16 mansion.
Circa late C16. Enormous rampart faced in stone rubble with granite dressings, with
a grassed walk on top. The outer (west) revetment wall has buttresses with set-offs,
and moulded saddle-back coping. Eastern side also buttressed but without stone
coping. The eastern side has a flight of steps leading down to a lawn in front of
the house. The house (Wembury House qv) was built on the site of a great mansion of
Sir John Hele who bought the estate in 1592 and built what was reputedly an enormous
house of which only this wall survives. It is said to have been a fortification
against pirates because of its proximity to the coast.


Listing NGR: SX5303549189

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.