This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1894 / 51°11'21"N
Longitude: -3.9093 / 3°54'33"W
OS Eastings: 266670
OS Northings: 145084
OS Grid: SS666450
Mapcode National: GBR KY.57H2
Mapcode Global: VH4MG.6C5K
Plus Code: 9C3R53QR+Q7
Entry Name: East Bodley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97097
Location: Parracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Parracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Parracombe Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 NE
3/119 East Bodley Farmhouse
Farmhouse. 1638 by datestone, remodelled and extended in 1754/5 by date plaques.
Unrendered stone rubble, slate roof with gable ends. Impressively tall rear lateral
hall stack with offsets and slate drip, ashlar stack with cavetto moulded cap to
front gable end of parlour wing and brick stack at right gable end.
1638 range appears to have consisted of two room and through-passage plan,hall to
left heated by rear lateral stack which has projecting lean-to stair turret to its
left, and lower end, possibly originally unheated to right. In 1755 a projecting
parlour wing was added at the upper end with an additional passage between it and
the hall and a shallow two-storey porch in the angle, its roof heightened in C20.
The rear gable end wall of the parlour was built forward of the rear wall of the
hall, so probably in C19 the resulting rear angle was infilled with a lofted storage
room with external rear access only.
Two storeys. 3 window range to main range. All late C20 fenestration except for 2
2-light casements 6 panes per light at right end of upper storey. Projecting gable-
ended stone rubble porch with slate roof. Semi-circular headed doorway with dressed
stone voussoirs. Date stone over RB 1B.
Inner door has C17 chamfered surround, the left-hand jamb replaced, with enriched
weathered stop to right-hand jamb and original plank door with cover strips. C20
fenestration to parlour wing. Plank door to shallow two-storey porch in angle with
roof heightened in C20. Pronounced straight-joint at left end of hall. Slate
plaque in gable end wall of parlour wing "This house was built in 1754 by John
Interior: despite C20 exterior and some interior alterations many, principally C18,
features survive. 2 chamfered cross ceiling beams to hall, that towards lower end
with hollow step stops and date 1739 with initials IB carved on soffit, beam to
upper end with run out stops. Chamfered bressumer set into upper end, formerly
gable end wall of hall, and part of chamfered beam with hollow-step stop exposed on
lower side of through-passage; also set in solid stone partitioning. Thin partition
with vertical dado match boarding between through-passage and hall. Narrow chamfer
to door surrond between hall and parlour wing. Dressed stone jambs to hall
fireplace, original timber lintel concealed by C20 one. Parlour has decorative
plaster ceiling with large central roundel with 4 angle sprays radiating from centre
and cyma reversa moulded plaster cornice. Fireplace rebuilt in C20. Small chamber
over also has central decorative plaster roundel but without central spray and two
sides remaining of plaster cornice. Large chamber over parlour has plaster plaque
inscribed John Blackmore/Elizabeth/1755. All the principal chambers to main range
and parlour wing have C18 raised and fielded 2 panelled doors with narrow chamfered
door surrounds with scroll-stopped durns. C17 roof trusses intact to main range
with halved and lapped collars and 2 tiers of trenched purlins.
Listing NGR: SS6667045084
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings