History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Loxbeare, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.918 / 50°55'4"N

Longitude: -3.5334 / 3°32'0"W

OS Eastings: 292307

OS Northings: 114292

OS Grid: SS923142

Mapcode National: GBR LG.QDP9

Mapcode Global: FRA 36HP.18G

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 5 April 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169381

English Heritage Legacy ID: 96747

Location: Loxbeare, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Loxbeare

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Calverleigh

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Washfield

Listing Text

SS 91 SW LOXBEARE CALVERLEIGH

13/103 Church of St Mary
5.4.66
GV II*


Parish church. West tower possibly C14; C15 arcade; nave and chancel largely rebuilt
1882 and 1887. Local stone rubble, chancel and nave snecked stone; slate roof.
Plan: of west tower, nave 3-bay south aisle (l-bay to the chancel), south porch.
Most of the details Perpendicular, fenestration largely replaced in the C19 but
probably copying medieval originals.
Exterior: chancel with crested ridge tiles and 3-light C19 Perpendicular medieval
east window with hoodmould and carved label stops and 2 3-light Tudor arched uncusped
south windows with saddle bars and stanchions, probably early C16 to the east of the
porch, similar 2-light window to west of porch, the hoodmould cut off by the wall
plate. Moulded priest's doorway to the east with a depressed segmental arch and
probably C16 panelled door; the west window is probably C14, 2-light and traceried.
Slim unbuttressed battlemented west tower with an asymmetrical 3-sided projecting
north-east stair turret. Small decayed medieval west doorway probably C16. 2-light
C14 Decorated west window, the tracery largely renewed. South porch with a moulded
rounded restored medieval outer doorway with a hoodmould and carved label stops,
remnants of angel corbel at apex of arch. The interior of the porch has a probably
early C19 ceiled wagon roof with moulded ribs; moulded 3-centred C15 inner doorway
with decayed stops.
Interior: Plastered walls except for north wall; tall chamfered tower arch with
pyramid stops; chancel arch formed by junction of nave and chancel roofs; nave roof
ceiled wagon similar to porch; lower ceiled wagon roof to chancel C19 with moulded
ribs and carved bosses; medieval C15 or C16 ceiled wagon to aisle with carved bosses,
the braces projecting out of the plaster above the moulded wall plate. 3-bay aisle
with moulded Tudor arches, piers with corner shafts and good capitals recut in the
1880s.
Medieval fittings consist of a re-sited rood screen, probably early C16, of very
unusual design, very tall square-headed openings with pierced spandrels, the frieze
and cresting survive to the nave only. The screen has been truncated at the base and
the present pulpit has been made up from another bay of the same design. Unusual
circa early C16 tower screen with square-headed openings, recessed tracery panels,
flush on the surface and wainscoting with chamfered muntins and crocketted ogee
canopies. Plain octagonal font on chamfered stem with bar stops. C19 fittings
include tiling, a late C19 blind traceried dado and plain choir stalls and benches.
Stained glass. Some medieval fragments include late C15 head tracery figures in the
east window of the south aisle; medieval fragments in west window of aisle filled
with medieval fragments from Carhais in France assembled by Drake of Exeter in 1887
including a sketch by Drake of the original design of the glass. East window
probably Burlisson and Grylls, erected 1906. Monuments include a wall monument to
members of the Southcott family, memorial dates of 1630 and 1633, Doric columns and a
swan necked pediment surround a kneeling figure at a prayer desk, painted portraits
in roundels. Good ledger stone in east end of south aisle commemorating George
Southcott, died 1654, aged 15; good cutting, armorial bearings and a memorable verse:
"Under this tombstone know there lies/A dainty youth of richest price/sone gropt by
death while under age/through feavers violence and rage/Earth keeps his body in
restraint/But heaven ownes him for a saint/".


Listing NGR: SS9230714292

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.