History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Panshayne Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Honiton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8769 / 50°52'37"N

Longitude: -3.0636 / 3°3'48"W

OS Eastings: 325268

OS Northings: 109144

OS Grid: ST252091

Mapcode National: GBR M2.T5P6

Mapcode Global: FRA 46GS.B9Q

Plus Code: 9C2RVWGP+QH

Entry Name: Panshayne Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169469

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86728

Location: Yarcombe, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Yarcombe

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Yarcombe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

ST 20 NE
8/173 Panshayne Farmhouse
- II
Farmhouse. Early-mid Cl7, renovated in 1845. Exposed local stone and flint rubble;
stone rubble stacks with stone rubble chimneyshafts with limestone ashlar quoins;
slate roof since 1845, thatch before that.
Plan and development: 4-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south and built
down a hillslope. The 2 rooms downhill to, left (south) are 2 parlours with an axial
stack between them serving back-to-back fireplaces; the central one is larger than
the end one. In the centre is the passage. To right of it is a small unheated room
which was formerly a dairy or buttery. Uphill at the right(north) end is a dining
room but the gable-end stack here serves only the first floor chamber. There is a
kitchen in a single storey block to rear of the dining room and it has a stack in
the back wall. The house was refurbished and enlarged in 1845 (according to a
datestone on the porch). A straight join in the front wall shows that the end
parlour is a C19 extension, so too is the rear kitchen. Thus the C17 house occupied
the remaining 3 rooms of the main block with a parlour to left of the passage and
probably a kitchen at the right end, although, if so, the stack has been demolished
and the end wall rebuilt. The house is 2 storeys.
Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 4-window front. The ground floor windows are
C20 casements with glazing bars and the first floor windows are casements containing
rectangular panes of leaded glass; these date from 1845. The 3 ground floor windows
of the original C17 section have flat stone arches over. The passage front doorway
is slightly right of centre and it contains a C19 part-glazed plank door. The
gabled porch has Hamstone quoins and an elliptical headed outer arch with a
projecting keystone which is inscribed TTFE Drake Bart 1845. The chain roof is
hipped to left and gable-ended to right.
Interior is largely the result of the 1845 modernisation. Nevertheless the layout
of the C17 house appears to survive largely intact. The right end room has a plain
chamfered crossbeam. The original parlour has a good 9-panel ceiling of richly
moulded beams. The secondary parlour has a reused C17 axial beam; it is chamfered
with step stops. The roof was not inspected but since the trusses do not show on
the first floor and the present roof has a low pitch the structure is believed to be

Listing NGR: ST2526809144

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.