This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8754 / 50°52'31"N
Longitude: -3.0707 / 3°4'14"W
OS Eastings: 324765
OS Northings: 108976
OS Grid: ST247089
Mapcode National: GBR M2.T3XB
Mapcode Global: FRA 46GS.FK0
Entry Name: Lower Pithayne Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 March 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098186
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86723
Location: Yarcombe, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Yarcombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Yarcombe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 NW
7/168 Lower Pithayne Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1832 but an earlier core is suspected. Roughcast local stone and
flint rubble; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick; thatch roof.
Plan: L-plan farmhouse. The main block faces south and is built across the
hillslope. It has a 3-room plan. The left (west) end room is a small parlour, the
centre room is a dining room and between them is an axial stack serving back-to-back
fireplaces. At the right (east) end there is the entrance lobby and main staircase.
The rear block projects at right angles to rear of the right end. It contains the
kitchen with a stack backing onto the main block and there is an unheated
dairy/buttery to rear. 2 storeys with lean-to outshots to rear. Exterior: regular
4-window front of C19 casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass and
there are more similar windows on the other sides. The first floor window left of
centre is blind. Below is a Hamstone plaque recording the rebuilding of the
farmhouse in 1832 by Sir T.T.F.E. Drake. There is a lean-to porch on the right end
with its outer round-headed arch flush with the main front. The doorway is on the
right end and it contains its original (1832) 6-panel door. Directly behind the
porch is the stair window; it is tall and narrow and contains C19 coloured glass
margin panes. The roofs of both wings are gable-ended.
Interior contains plain C19 carpentry detail including crossbeams with narrow
chamfers and brick fireplaces with plain oak lintels. It also contains a great deal
of C19 joinery detail. The roof was not inspected.
This is a well-preserved C19 estate farmhouse of modest proportions.
Listing NGR: ST2476508976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings