This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8037 / 52°48'13"N
Longitude: 1.5061 / 1°30'21"E
OS Eastings: 636425
OS Northings: 328670
OS Grid: TG364286
Mapcode National: GBR XH7.9KN
Mapcode Global: WHMSS.3SGG
Plus Code: 9F43RG34+FC
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169839
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224247
Location: East Ruston, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
Civil Parish: East Ruston
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Stalham and East Ruston with Brunstead
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 32 NE
Church of St. Mary
Redundant parish church. C14, remodelled C15, north aisle removed 1778, chancel restored 1887, font restored 1884, tower restored 1985-86. Flint (Quaternary) with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings and some brick. Pantiled nave roof, lead south aisle and chancel.
Three stage west tower with angle buttresses. Blocked cusped ground floor light. Above string course a further blocked window. Cusped lancets to ringing chamber, that to north blocked. Two-light cusped belfry windows with central mullions removed. Crenellated parapet.
West window of south aisle blocked, was two-light ogeed of c.1340. Aisle with angle corner buttresses, stepped buttresses to flanks. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Wave moulded archway below ogeed statuary niche. Porch bites into earlier nave buttress. Three three-light Perpendicular aisle windows under depressed arches and one two-light Y traceried window, the former C15, the latter C18. String course runs below windows and round buttresses. Three-light C15 east window to aisle under pointed arch. Two two-light south chancel windows separated by stepped buttress. Diagonal east buttresses. Five-light cusped intersecting chancel east window. North chancel wall with one stepped buttress and one window blocked with brick. Brick north nave wall supported by stepped buttresses, all of 1778, reusing three C15 Perpendicular arched windows.
Interior. Five bay south arcade of octagonal piers on moulded polygonal bases and with similar capitals. Double chamfered arches. Low tower arch. Double chamfered chancel arch contemporary with and identical to nave arcade details. Slightly barrelled boarded and plastered nave roof. Unpretentious south aisle roof of principals and one tier butt purlins. South aisle chapel boasts two steps up to a pedestal and a cusped piscina. Chancel screen of two bays right and left of arched opening. Traceried dado panels with paintings of Angels and St. Gregory, St. Ambrose, St. Augustine and St. Gerome. Arched tracery panels above are multiply cusped and carried on moulded and painted muntins. On the east side the inner muntins bear carved lions. Chancel roof retains two C15 bays: ties on arched braces and three tiers butt purlins, all relocated 1887 to form flat roof and boarded above tie beams. Cusped piscina in south chancel wall. Octagonal C15 font altered in 1884 restoration. Traceried stem with demons at foot and angel heads at top supporting bowl. Bowl with heads and symbols of four Evangelists.
Listing NGR: TG3642528670
Other nearby listed buildings