This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8036 / 52°48'12"N
Longitude: 1.5059 / 1°30'21"E
OS Eastings: 636410
OS Northings: 328654
OS Grid: TG364286
Mapcode National: GBR XH7.9JM
Mapcode Global: WHMSS.3SBK
Entry Name: East Ruston War Memorial
Listing Date: 23 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442619
Location: East Ruston, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: East Ruston
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Stalham and East Ruston with Brunstead
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial, c.1920, with Second World War additions.
DESCRIPTION: East Ruston War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Mary’s Church, off the B1159, near the junction with Pound Road and Vicarage Road, East Ruston. It is prominently situated just inside the churchyard entrance, a little way along the main path to the church. The memorial comprises a polished wheel-head cross on a tapering, four-sided plinth with two-stepped base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in leaded lettering.
The inscription is in leaded lettering and reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF EAST RUSTON/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918// (NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such war memorial was raised at East Ruston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
East Ruston memorial, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was presumably erected c.1920. It commemorates 19 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and three men who fell in the Second World War.
East Ruston War Memorial, which is situated in St Mary’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple but well-executed granite cross;
* Group value: with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Mary.
Other nearby listed buildings