History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Trinity Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Drewsteignton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.718 / 50°43'4"N

Longitude: -3.766 / 3°45'57"W

OS Eastings: 275423

OS Northings: 92417

OS Grid: SX754924

Mapcode National: GBR QG.G477

Mapcode Global: FRA 3705.SRK

Entry Name: Holy Trinity Chapel

Listing Date: 20 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95144

Location: Drewsteignton, West Devon, Devon, EX6

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Drewsteignton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Cheriton Bishop St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Drewsteignton

Listing Text

SX 79 SE CHERITON BISHOP CROCKERNWELL

10/297 Holy Trinity Chapel

II


House and Barn now Chapel of Ease. Converted from former house and barn. House
dated 1658; Chapel rebuilt circa 1880. Plastered cob on exposed rubble footings
with some C19 brick; pantile roof. Long gable-ended building facing south with
simple rectangular plan. Door at west end of south front behind gabled porch of
open timber-framed construction on low plastered walls. 5 window front comprising
4 high timber framed windows to nave and small window to chancel. The 2 western
nave windows have 3 lights and central transom, the others are 2-light. All have
chamfered mullions and shoulder-headed arches and contain the original glazing-
geometric patterns of small leaded panes of translucent, pale-coloured glass. The
brick coping of western gable is surmounted by a small timber-framed belfry.
Inside the evidence of 2-storey C17 house shows in west wall; stone ground floor
fireplace (now a cupboard) has ovolo-moulded oak lintel with bar-runout stops and
is inscribed L
WI
with the date 1658, and first floor hooded fireplace with chamfered oak lintel and
unusual lozenge stops is now high on west wall above disused floor beam (chamfered
with scroll stops). The high flat ceiling may hide some C17 trusses but only 5 C19
the beams on raking struts are exposed. Chapel has entirely C19 fittings very
similar to contemporary work in Church of St Mary the Virgin, Cheriton Bishop
(q.v.), the Mother church, including similarly carved choir stalls and ironwork by
the same local craftsman. The original oil lamps remain but are converted to
electricity.


Listing NGR: SX7542392417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.