This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9628 / 50°57'46"N
Longitude: -3.6451 / 3°38'42"W
OS Eastings: 284565
OS Northings: 119442
OS Grid: SS845194
Mapcode National: GBR L9.MNCB
Mapcode Global: FRA 367K.RQ5
Entry Name: Rackenford Manor
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97392
Location: Rackenford, North Devon, Devon, EX16
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Rackenford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rackenford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
RACKENFORD TITHIN HILL
SS 81 NW
5/42 Rackenford Manor - --
Large house. C18, enlarged and interior remodelled in 1928-32 by Allan Walton.
Rendered stone rubble. Hipped slate roofs. 2 rendered axial stacks and gable end
stacks to rear wings.
Plan: original core consists of central symmetrical, 5-bay range with 2 principal
rooms each side of entrance hall. Stair projection to rear right end and service
wing to rear left end. In 1928-32 the rear service wing was extended and 2 shallow
projecting wings added, the larger right-hand wing incorporating a second entrance
to its outer face.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Central 5 bays symmetrical, with shallow projecting wings at
each end. Original core has all 16 paned sashes, the central sash semi-circular
arched with intersecting glazing bars. Ground floor has 8 over 12 paned sashes.
Central Tuscan style portico with pediment and interrupted entablature supported on
Tuscan columns. Panelled soffit and reveals to doorway with fanlight and C20 door.
Left-hand wing has 16-paned sash over large segmental arched opening with recessed
French windows. Right-hand wing has one above two 16-paned sashes, with porch added
in 1930s remodelling to outer face which has shallow bow window to right. Semi-
circular arched sash windows, many intact to rear, including stair window.
Interior: entirely remodelled 1928-32 by Allan Walton.
Listing NGR: SS8456519442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings