This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9518 / 50°57'6"N
Longitude: -3.6375 / 3°38'14"W
OS Eastings: 285075
OS Northings: 118211
OS Grid: SS850182
Mapcode National: GBR L9.NBBN
Mapcode Global: FRA 368L.GQH
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97390
Location: Rackenford, North Devon, Devon, EX16
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Rackenford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rackenford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 81 NE
6/40 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Possibly C13 fabric to chancel, nave rebuilt and north aisle and
west tower added in late C15 or early C16. South wall of nave rebuilt 1827.
Restoration of 1900. Random stone rubble, entirely rendered except for west tower.
Plan: west tower, nave, north aisle and chancel.
Exterior: west tower of 3 stages, with diagonal buttresses, north-east stair turret
and low embattled parapet. 2-light pointed arched bell-openings to each face.
Fenestration mainly of 1900 restoration, Perpendicular style. West window of 3
lights above pointed arched doorway. 3 light and single light window to nave.
Priest's door has single light windows to each side, that to left ogee-headed, that
to right cusped headed; both with iron stanchions and saddle bars. 3-light windows
to east end of chancel and north aisle.
Interior: continuous north arcade of 4 bays with piers of Pevsner 'A' type and
standard capitals with abstract ornamentation. Ceiled wagon-roofs to nave and north
aisles that to nave is particularly fine has every alternate rib supported by angel
figures standing on corbels. Large carved bosses at the intersections. Plastered
barrel vault to chancel with moulded plaster cornice. C18 communion rails with
alternating barley twist and straight turned balusters. Large octagonal
Perpendicular font with tracery motifs. C19 nave seating.
Listing NGR: SS8507818213
Other nearby listed buildings