This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7522 / 50°45'7"N
Longitude: -2.2176 / 2°13'3"W
OS Eastings: 384742
OS Northings: 94756
OS Grid: SY847947
Mapcode National: GBR 20K.Q5C
Mapcode Global: FRA 6773.3W5
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108309
Location: Bere Regis, Dorset, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: Bere Regis
Built-Up Area: Bere Regis
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bere Regis St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 8494 BERE REGIS SOUTHBROOK, WEST SIDE
13/34 Parish Church of St John
20/11/59 the Baptist
Parish Church. Pre-Conquest origin, largely rebuilt in C12. Further enlarged
in C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored c 1875, G E Street - Architect. Nave of 5
bays, north and south aisles, chancel, west tower, south porch. Tower C16,
of 3 stages, of stone and flint chequerwork. Inset angle buttresses, with
pinnacles, finishing below parapet. Projecting octagonal stair turret on north-
west. Battlemented parapet, with pinnacles. Top stage has 3-light windows
with pierced stone infilpanels. Second stage has a 2-light window in west
wall flanked by canopied niches. West door has 4-centred arch and carved
spandrils. Nave and aisle roofs of lead. South aisle, part rebuilt in C19,
has lower walls of stone and flint banding - upper walls of brick and flint.
Windows with reticulated tracery. Eastern window, of 5-lights in 3-centred
arch - C16. South porch c 1875, of brick and flint banding has stone slate
roof with coped gable. Waggon-type roof. 2 fire-hooks fixed over inner door.
Chancel - C15, has rough ashlar walls. 3-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery. East window contains some C13 material - reset in C19. Chancel
roof stone slated, with coped gables. Angle buttresses to chancel. North
aisle C14, rebuilt in C19 - re-using original windows. Walls of stone and
flint banding. Square-headed 3-light windows. Doorway with moulded
2-centred arch. Internally, 3 centre bays of north aisle, early C12, have
circular piers, plain caps and plain pointed arches of 2 orders. Corresponding
bays of south arcade, late C12, have carved caps and chevron moulding to
arches. Eastern bays originally led into transepts - now incorporated in aisles.
West bays, C13 - an extension of the original church. Tower arch C15, with
panelled soffits. Chancel arch C14, of 2 orders. Squints each side of chancel
arch. Chancel roof C19 - of 4-centred waggon form. Good late C16 canopied
table - tomb in north wall. East end of south aisle - Turberville chapel,con-
tains 2 similar monuments and one earlier tomb recess west of these. Late
C15 nave roof, of arch-braced tie-beam form with king and queen posts and
mock hammer-beams incorporating figures of the apostles. Carved bosses to
tie-beams - all members much enriched. Repaired and re-coloured c 1875 and
in C20. North aisle has C15 lean-to roof. Nave pews incorporate re-used
C16 carved ends. Font C12, with interlaced arcading. A church of great
interest - the nave roof outstanding. RCHM Monument 1.
Listing NGR: SY8474094755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings