This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7519 / 50°45'6"N
Longitude: -2.1707 / 2°10'14"W
OS Eastings: 388056
OS Northings: 94716
OS Grid: SY880947
Mapcode National: GBR 20M.XNN
Mapcode Global: FRA 67B3.45C
Plus Code: 9C2VQR2H+QP
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108331
Location: Bloxworth, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: Bloxworth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bloxworth St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 89 SE BLOXWORTH CHURCH LANE, NORTH SIDE
6/58 Parish Church of St Andrew
Parish Church. C12 origin, altered and enlarged in C14, C17 and late C19.
Walls part stone, part flint, part plastered. Slate roofs with coped gables.
Nave, with north transept, chancel, with north vestry, south porch, west
tower. Tower, C14, has walls of ironstone rubble. 2 stages, angle buttresses.
Battlemented parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles. 2-light traceried
louvred windows to belfry. In lower stage of west wall a 2-light traceried
window with carved heads as hoodmould stops. North wall of nave, C17, is
plastered and has 2 2-light square-headed windows. North transept, C17, has
plastered walls with ashlar quoins and plinth. In the north wall, an elliptical
window with raised stone surround - below this a 2-light square-headed window,
also with raised surround. Chancel and vestry of 1870 (Architect G Evans)
have flint walls with random ashlar inserts. North wall of chancel has a 2-light
traceried window. East window of 3 lights with reticulated tracery, flanked
by canopied niches with statues. South wall of chancel has priest's door and
2 2-light traceried windows. South wall of nave - refaced in C17, of ashlar.
East of porch a 3-light window with round-headed lights, and a 2-light window
with truncated head. West of porch a square-headed 2-light window. Porch,
C17, of ashlar, has round-headed doorway with sundial above. Inner door C12 -
round-headed - of one order, with moulded imposts. Internally, walls
plastered. Nave has a C17 barrel ceiling with plastered panels, moulded ribs
and bosses painted with Royal emblems. Similar roof to north transept (the
Savage Pew). Remains of late C16 wall painting over tower arch. In transept,
C17 painted cartouches on walls. Several C18 wall tablets and a good C17
monument to Sir John Trenchard. Chancel C19 - in "Early English" style.
Polished marble shafts and stiff-leaf capitals to chancel arch. Arch-braced
collar beam roof. C13 font with circular bowl and stem. Other furnishings
C19. RCHM Monument 1.
Listing NGR: SY8805794714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings