History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sillifant Vault Approximately 17 Metres South of Chancel of Church of St. Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Colebrooke, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7865 / 50°47'11"N

Longitude: -3.746 / 3°44'45"W

OS Eastings: 277015

OS Northings: 100001

OS Grid: SS770000

Mapcode National: GBR L5.ZSYP

Mapcode Global: FRA 3710.GFK

Entry Name: Sillifant Vault Approximately 17 Metres South of Chancel of Church of St. Andrew

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 96617

Location: Colebrooke, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Colebrooke

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Colebrooke

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Copplestone

Listing Text

COLEBROOKE COLEBROOK
SS 70 SE
3/97 Sillifant vault approximately
- 17 metres south of Chancel of
Church of St. Andrew

GV II

Vault. Late C18 in memory of members of the Sillifant family of Combe House.
Granite, volcanic stone and limestone. A rectangular plot is enclosed by low stone
walls partly made up of inscribed memorial stones. The head comprises a broad slab
of grey limestone standing approximately 0.8w high, apparently uninscribed and a
granite headstone which may be insitu. The square-headed headstone stands
approximately 0.8w high with the rear surround moulded and the front is inscribed
in--memory of Timothy Sillifant who died in 1723. The northern side wall is buried
but the southern side wall is exposed. It is low and made up mainly of volcanic
ashlar with bead-moulded corners but towards the head includes a reused section of
an inscribed granite headstone. The foot is a single massive slab of granite
standing approximately 0.6m high and the front is inscribed with Roman serif upper
and lower case letters recording the deaths of late C18 members of the Sillifant
family; the earliest Thomas Sillifant (died 1776), the latest John Sillifant (died
1795). The yew tree growing in the plot towards the head is said to have been
planted over the grave of John Sillifant in 1795. All the stones have the settings
for iron railings, a few of which survive with spear heads where they are embedded
in the tree. A rectangular limestone memorial resting against the tree records the
death of Mary Anne Sillifant in 1808. Alongside the tree lies a medieval block of
carved Beerstone, maybe a crocketted capital.
Source: Church Guide. Frank S Pepper (1978).


Listing NGR: SS7701500001

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.