This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7865 / 50°47'11"N
Longitude: -3.7462 / 3°44'46"W
OS Eastings: 277005
OS Northings: 100002
OS Grid: SS770000
Mapcode National: GBR L5.ZLT6
Mapcode Global: FRA 3710.GCC
Entry Name: Vaults, Headstones and Retaining Wall Lining West Side of Approach to Church of St Andrew from South Gate of Churchyard
Listing Date: 20 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435808
Location: Colebrooke, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Colebrooke
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Colebrooke
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 SE
3/99 Vaults, headstones and retaining
- wall lining west side of approach
to Church of St Andrew from south
gate of churchyard
Group of 5 family vaults, 2 headstones and revetment wall lining sunken path. All
C19. Vaults and headstones employ limestone, granite, volcanic stone and mudstone
ashlar and wall of mudstone noble. Various styles.
Described from north (nearest church) to south (adjoining south gate of
churchyard). At north (right) end is Wreford vault of circa 1889. Front of
rusticated volcanic ashlar with plain granite ashlar and including central
limestone rectangular plaque inscribed in memory of Simon Lee Wreford (died 1889).
The granite coping encloses a rectangular plot to rear which includes 3 reset
limestone headstones facing forward and set shoulder to shoulder. All have shaped
heads and are inscribed in memory to C19 members of the Lee family. The earliest
to the right includes a carved cherub at the top over the memorial to Ann Wreford
(died 1824). Leaning against the back of these headstone is another limestone
headstone with shaped top inscribed in memory of Simon Wreford (died 1790), his
wife Mary (died 1795) and their 3 infant children.
Adjoining the Wreford vault to left is the Partridge vault of circa 1840. The
granite ashlar front has a projecting moulded cornice and includes 3 limestone
rectangular panels. The larger central panel is inscribed in memory of Thomas
Partridge (died 1840) his wife Elizabeth (died 1797) and his son William (died
1830), and is signed Gould of Colebrooke. The granite coping encloses a
rectangular plot to the rear which includes an arch-headed Gothic-style limestone
headstone in memory of James Ebbels (died 1855) and his family.
Adjoining the Partridge vault to the left is the Grueber memorial of circa 1834.
It is built of snecked rusticated volcanic stone with plain granite cornice and
central large granite plaque inscribed in memory of Jane Lady May (died 1834) and
several members of the Grueber family.
Adjoining the Grueber vault to the left is a section of retaining wall flanked by
uninscribed granite slabs, a central section of rubble wall with limestone
headstones between, in merry of William Tozer (died 1843) and his family to right
and William Cornish (died 1810) to left.
Adjoining to left is the stone vault of circa 1877. Built of granite ashlar it
contains a limestone plaque inscribed in memory of Jams Stone of Furzedown (died
1872) and his family. The plot behind is covered by granite ashlar with raised
concave central section. Adjoining the stone vault to the left is the Lee vault of
circa 1882. It is built of mudstone ashlar with a central panel containing 2 nowy-
headed limestone memorials recording the deaths of James Lee (died 1835) and his
family. The coping enclosed a rectangular plot to rear. Adjoining to left a
mudstone rubble wall continues a short distance to south side of churchyard.
Listing NGR: SS7700300001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings