This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0635 / 52°3'48"N
Longitude: -1.8144 / 1°48'51"W
OS Eastings: 412817
OS Northings: 240585
OS Grid: SP128405
Mapcode National: GBR 4N6.Q28
Mapcode Global: VHB12.HDMG
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171337
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127038
Location: Weston Subedge, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55
Civil Parish: Weston Subedge
Built-Up Area: Weston-sub-Edge
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Weston-sub-Edge with Aston-sub-Edge
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 14 SW WESTON SUBEDGE CHURCH STREET
4/121 Church of St. Lawrence
Parish church of C13, heavily rebuilt 1853-4 by F. Preedy; C15
tower. Limestone ashlar with plain tiled roof. Un-divided nave
and chancel, without aisles; west tower and south porch. Nave and
chancel walls are buttressed, with angle buttresses at east end;
moulded string beneath sills, continuing over buttresses; C19
moulded eaves. Dec. north and south doorways to nave with moulded
trefoil heads. Three trefoil-headed nave lancets, and two Dec. 2-
light windows with geometrical tracery to chancel in side walls; 4-
light Dec. east window; all windows in chancel being C19
restorations, as is whole east wall. Dec. priest's chanel door on
south side. C19 porch with small 2-light over arch. Three stage
Perp. tower with diagonal buttresses; square stair turret on north
side; crenellated parapet with finely moulded crocketed pinnacles
and corner gargoyles. 3-light Perp. west window, and 2-light
openings to each bell chamber wall. Whitewashed interior, apart
from east wall having a stone arcaded reredos behind the surviving
stone 'mensa'. C19 timber roof divided by a large tie-beam truss
on carved stone corbels; 4 bays each to nave and chancel, arched
braced trusses with cusped strutting and curved wind braces.
Trefoil headed piscina and 2 square headed aumbries in south
chancel wall; mortuary tomb dated 1880 by Gaffin in north, together
with marble memorial to Pharamus Fiennes, dated 1708; inscription
tablet surmounted by heraldic shield flanked by flaming gadrooned
urns. Below an Elizabethan brass memorial to William Hodges, died
1590. Upper rood loft doorway survives in south wall. Late C17
hexagonal timber pulpit; C19 choir stalls and pews; 2 carved stone
figures beneath C14 canopies from original east wall now stand in
chancel; font in nave: C20 bowl on C13 base with attached E.E.
shafts. Stained glass to all windows of 1854 and 1867 by Wailes
Below and outside south chancel windows lies medieval stone coffin.
The Church stands next to site of former manor house and, as with
all the towered churches below the escarpment, has landscape
importance. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1970).
Listing NGR: SP1281740585
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings