This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.947 / 52°56'49"N
Longitude: 0.5167 / 0°31'0"E
OS Eastings: 569192
OS Northings: 341813
OS Grid: TF691418
Mapcode National: GBR P2W.CFD
Mapcode Global: WHKPF.X672
Entry Name: Hunstanton Hall Moat Bridge and Garden and Forecourt Walls
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221243
Location: Old Hunstanton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE36
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Old Hunstanton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hunstanton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 6941 OLD HUNSTANTON
7/61 Hunstanton Hall,
moat bridge and garden
5/6/53 and forecourt walls.
Country House. Gatehouse 1487, wings c.1625-1640, additions 1835, 1873 and
1879. Seat of the Le Strange family from marriage with the heiress of the
Domesday owner until sale after Second World War. Inherited by the Styleman
family in 1760. Henry Styleman (1815-1862) added Le Strange to his name in
1839, restored Old Hunstanton church and initiated with his son Sir Hamon
Le Strange the development of New Hunstanton. Gatehouse brick, wings chequer-
work clunch and carstone, returns carstone; C19 wings flint and carstone.
Largely 2-storey moated courtyard house. Gatehouse and bridge, originally detached.
To west, a C16 house burnt down and demolished in 1853 except for porch, now
free standing, dated 1618. Courtyard formed by wings to north, south and
west of gatehouse c.1620-1640. Perpendicular gateway block 2 storeys with
parapet and flat roof. Battered brick plinth, 2 ground floor 4-centred stone
mullioned casements with drip moulds, 2-single light casements with external
protective iron stay bar. Central gateway with 4-centred stone carriage arch
with shields and clasped hands in spandrels, drip moulds above. C15 2-leaf
oak panelled gates. 3 first floor arched 2-light wooden framed casements
with lead glazing bars, cement rustication and stone drip moulds. Pierced
stone tracery ventilation panels at ground floor, stone quoins and parapet
string course, brick battlements with stone copings. 4 single brick shaft
stacks at four corners. 2 central double shaft stacks at mid-point of parapet
at north and south. 2 lead downpipes with monogram and date HS 1757 on
hoppers. Soffit of arch ribbed vaulted roof on corbels, north return with
one blocked chamfered brick 4-centred door and window, south with one blocked
and one open 4-centred door, stone rear arch to court. Attached at east bridge
over moat, single stone dressed arch, brick abutments and parapet continued
parallel with moat to north and south as wall. Ranges to north and south
of gatehouse forming an enclosed court c.1625-1640 for Sir Hamon Le Strange
(b,1583) a mixture of vernacular Gothic and Jacobean classicism, perhaps by
William Edge (1584-1643), stone mason, and his family. East entrance facade
2 symmetrical 2 storey 4 window ranges returned to west on "L" plan. Rubble
carstone with galleting to plinth, chequer work knapped flint and carstone
ground and first floor, cement rendered brick dressings, stone quoins, string
course and battlements. Range to north roofless and burnt out since 1947
has 3 ground floor mullioned casements, 3 with 3-lights, one with 2-lights,
first floor 3 3-light and one 2-light mullioned and transomed windows. South
range with 4 ground floor windows, 3 with 3-lights, one of 2-lights, 4 first
floor windows, 3 of 4-lights, one of 2-lights. Ground floor windows mullioned
only, first floor mullioned and transomed with lead glazing bars. 4 lead
downpipes with HS 1757 on hoppers. Within courtyard the gatehouse return
with 2 inserted c.1625 doors, and 3 first floor windows. North wing with
one first floor window and to north-west return 2 ground floor 3-light windows,
2 lancets and 3 doors. 4 first floor windows, 2 with surviving mullions.
South orangery wing, with one first floor window and to south-west return
a facade matching that of north wing with 3 ground floor doors, 2 ground and
3 first floor windows, with mullions, transomes and leaded glazing bars.
All the ground floor doors are of classical inspiration with architrave
surrounds and arches with keystones, and 3 and 4-panelled doors with ribbing
arranged in heads as fanlight pattern. Formerly connected at south west
with C16 house now demolished. At north west corner a domestic range of 3
storeys dated 1873. High Victorian Gothic, perhaps by Frederick Preedy archi-
tect, with attached at south single storey wall incorporating mid C19 west
porch of demolished C16 block. Behind 1873 block a 2 storey range of 2 builds,
said to be the earliest part of the house,with c.1700 wooden framed mullioned
and transomed casement windows with glazing bars. Formerly gabled at north
west corner, now cut down to flat roof. c.1900 Tudoresque single storey brick
block. Attached at north west, west and south west carstone garden walls.
At west as a carstone and stone dressed parapet wall along the moat dated
1622. Service wing parallel with north side of court, 2 storey with attics,
partly burnt out and rootless, flint with stone dressings, dated 1835, attics
and gables dated 1879. Single storey "L" plan wing at north east is not of
special interest. Prominent brick stacks throughout of c.1873. See Christopher
Hussey, "Hunstanton Hall", in Country Life, LIX, 1926, pp. 552-9, 586-95.
Burke's and Savill's Guide to Country Houses, H. Montgomery - Massingbred (ed)
Vol. III, East Anglia (1981) p.144.
Listing NGR: TF6919241813
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings