This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9111 / 51°54'39"N
Longitude: -2.1414 / 2°8'29"W
OS Eastings: 390367
OS Northings: 223623
OS Grid: SO903236
Mapcode National: GBR 1KQ.5DW
Mapcode Global: VH946.T7SB
Entry Name: Hayden Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126550
Location: Boddington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51
Civil Parish: Boddington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Staverton with Boddington
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/11/2015
SO 92 SW
(Formerly listed as Haydon Farmhouse)
Farmhouse. Early C17, altered C18, C19, 1914, minor alterations
mid C20. Timber-framed, partly wattle and daub infill, partly
brick nogged; painted brickwork of various dates; tiled roof.
'L'plan, 3-bay, 2-room end, 2½ storeys; 4-bay, 2-storey rear
wing, with slightly lower 2-bay extension: lean-to in angle and on
short wing. Open side faces yard: on right gable short wing,
stone plinth, framing 2 panels high per floor. External brick
chimney, sloping brick offsets: C20 wooden window to right
ground floor replacing earlier door. On right gable-of brick lean-
to to garden front: 2-light casement. Set back on left front of
brick lean-to, 2-light casement, boarded door. Set back to rear
wing, high ashlar plinth, framing 3 panels high above to eaves,
boarded door, 2-light casement. Above, on right curved braces
forming circle, partly hidden by lean-to; 5-light casement,
applied frame, leaded lights, some greenish glass, iron-opening
casements. Three-light casement to left, curved brace corner post
to wallplate. Ridge chimney on right, and on left gable. To left
slighty-lower wing, brick plinth, framing 3 panels high, partly
replaced with brickwork at bottom: blocked doorway, shuttered
opening on ground floor, and to right above. Gable of brick lean-
to on left.
Interior: hollow chamfers to some exposed beams in rear wing:
partitions moved, stairs probably inserted. Cantilevered toilet
off gable rear wing, seat survives with cover: upper floor
originally open to roof: straight windbraces. Short wing on
right, originally 2 unequal rooms each floor, partition moved on
ground floor, part first floor raised 1914 when corner rebuilt in
brick. Panelled doors to cupboard rear ground floor room: wide
chamfer to ceiling beams. Collar trusses to loft, with 2 pairs
purlins and square ridge. Wings of 'L' two different dates: parts
of rear wall long section rebuilt in brick in late C18.
(V.C.H., Gloucestershire, VIII, 1968; D. Verey, Gloucestershire,
the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)
Listing NGR: SO9036723623
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings