This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7028 / 50°42'10"N
Longitude: -2.2769 / 2°16'36"W
OS Eastings: 380540
OS Northings: 89281
OS Grid: SY805892
Mapcode National: GBR 0ZR.TD1
Mapcode Global: FRA 6737.4R5
Entry Name: Parish Church of Ss Magnus the Martyr and Nicholas of Myra
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Last Amended: 2 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108643
Location: Moreton, Dorset, Dorset, DT2
Civil Parish: Moreton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Moreton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 88 NW
Parish Church of
SS Magnus the Martyr
and Nicholas of
listed as Church of
Parish church. Built 1776, replacing a medieval church. North aisle added 1841 and
partly rebuilt following damage in Second World War. Walls of Portland stone
ashlar. Roof partly of stone slates, partly of lead.
Nave, apsidal sanctuary, north aisle, west porch, tower south of nave with "family"
pew to the east and vestry - (former "servants" pew) to the west.
Tower rises above aisle parapet in two stages, finished with carved panelled parapet
and pinnacles. Circular window in top stage. Large traceried windows with pierced
stone infill in second stage. Windows in the body of the church have intersecting
Gothic tracery. Those in the apse and north aisle filled with engraved glass by
Laurence Whistler. Carved panelled parapets to aisle, pew, vestry and porch.
Internally, most fittings renewed c1847. Good monument of 1762 to Mary, wife of
James Frampton. Other late C18 and C19 monuments, mostly to the Frampton family.
Brass of 1523 to Jamys Frampton - from the earlier church. Attractive coved plaster
ceilings, with mock vaulting ribs, in nave and apse.
Good example of the early Gothic Revival.
RCHM Monument 1.
Listing NGR: SY8054089281
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings