This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.947 / 50°56'49"N
Longitude: -2.6404 / 2°38'25"W
OS Eastings: 355108
OS Northings: 116585
OS Grid: ST551165
Mapcode National: GBR MN.NQVP
Mapcode Global: FRA 56CL.TD4
Entry Name: Twin Cemetery Chapels A) Easternmost for the Church of England
Listing Date: 17 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173517
English Heritage Legacy ID: 261413
Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA21
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Yeovil
Built-Up Area: Yeovil
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
PRESTON ROAD (North side)Twin Cemetery Chapels:a)Easternmost;for the Church of England
Cemetery chapel of 1863:Local stone ashlar with Ham stone dressings,Welsh slated roof,One of twin(handed)chapels:Greek cross plan with added colonnade porch to West:South transept in form of an angled chevet;Romanesque style with some ploychromy.Corner buttressed porch has semi-circular headed entrance archway with small side shafts;the returns have a semi-circular arched opening split by a column and heavily cusped tracery.South elevation has cusped lancet to'nave'bay,then plate tracery in semi-circular arches to the chevet,a further cusped lancet to'chancel'bay;corner buttresses with Quasi-dentilled eaves course.Triple window to East end,the centre light being divided centrally,with decorated capitals/imposts.North elevation similar to South,but with the chevet replaced by flat gable with pair of doors.Small circular window in West wall over porch.Centred over crossing a short gabled turret with square flue-like termination. Interior not inspected.Although architecturally adequate on its own,its value is enhanced by the 'twin' opposite.
Listing NGR: ST5510816585
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings