This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9262 / 51°55'34"N
Longitude: -0.0098 / 0°0'35"W
OS Eastings: 536944
OS Northings: 227171
OS Grid: TL369271
Mapcode National: GBR K98.B9W
Mapcode Global: VHGNX.SV57
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin (Church of England)
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 161366
Location: Westmill, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Westmill
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Westmill
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 3627 WESTMILL HIGH STREET
8/15 Parish Church of St Mary
the Virgin (C of E)
Parish church. Cll (A-S) nave, C12 N aisle, C13 chancel, C15 W
tower and nave roof, S porch rebuilt and church restored 1876
with new lean-to vestry at NE. Flint rubble with coursed flint
facing and limestone dressings. Barnack stone long-and-short
work in situ at SE corner of nave, and reused in diagonal
butresses to N aisle. Knapped flint and limestone chequered
plinth to tower. Steep old red tile roofs. Small leaded
Hertfordshire spike and vane on pyramidial slated base behind
crenelated parapet of tower. Essentially a 2-cell pre-conquest
church with unusually wide (and therefore important) nave 21 ft x
41.5 ft and square-ended chancel 15 ft x 25 ft with C13
rebuilding of chancel, and later accretious. Adding N aisle
c1190 involved cutting 2 pointed unmoulded arches through A-S N
wall having splayed edges, dripmoulds on both sides and moulded
abaci on the intrados of each. Upper door to rood loft stair
at E end of N wall. Lancet windows in sides of chancel renewed
but C13 blocked square headed window with external rebate over S
door of chancel. Chancel arch c1330 2-centred with 2 moulded
orders, dripmould on both sides and responds of 3 large engaged
shafts with fillets between. Brick jambs, head and external
label with stops to W window of N aisle c1530. Tall square tower
of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and very tall 2-centred
tower arch to nave of 3 chamfered orders without capitals.
Elaborate W doorway and moulded jambs with a canopied niche to
each splay and spandrels carved with censing angels. 3-light W
window and 4 large 2-light belfry openings with traceried heads.
Gargoyles in middle of each face below parapet and deep moulded
string around base. C15 scissor-braced collar-purlin nave roof
with 3 octagonal crown-posts with moulded base and cap and 4-way
bracing, and wall responds to short end bays. C13 memorial slab
to Nicol de Leuknore on wall in base of tower with Lombardic edge
inscription. Octagonal late C15 clunch font with fleurons in
quatrefoils on panelled sides. C15 benches with buttressed ends.
Polychrome tile reredos concealed by alter said to be the last
designed by Sir Ninian Comper. 2 polychrome octagonal riddel
posts supporting gilded angels: 2 more now under tower. Late C17
oak communion rails with twisted balusters. Vigourously carved
eagle lectern, organ front and panelled pulpit 1931 decorated by
Peter Larkworthy. (RCHM (1911) 236-7: VCH (1912) 401-2; Pevsner
(1977) 401: Ormerod (n.d.) Notes for Visitors).
Listing NGR: TL3694427171
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings