This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.728 / 51°43'40"N
Longitude: -0.2763 / 0°16'34"W
OS Eastings: 519146
OS Northings: 204655
OS Grid: TL191046
Mapcode National: GBR H8L.NYT
Mapcode Global: VHGPR.5T9Q
Entry Name: Tyttenhanger House
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Last Amended: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164296
Location: Ridge, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, AL4
Civil Parish: Ridge
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ridge
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 10 SE RIDGE COURSERS ROAD
3/242 Tyttenhanger House
25.2.52 (Formerly listed as Tyttenhanger
Former country house, now offices. c.1655 for Sir H.Blount possibly by
P.Mills. Altered early C18. Repaired 1783 and 1789 by Sir J.Soane for
C.Yorke. Extended C18. Few C19/C20 alterations. Red brick, moulded and
gauged dressings. Stone plinth, possibly re-used material from earlier
building on site. Steep hipped tiled roof. Squarish H plan with shallow
projecting wings. Artisan Mannerist Style. 3 storeys and attic.
Symmetrical garden or original entrance front: 2:5:2. Steps up to
central entrance, semi-circular traceried fanlight over 2/3 glazed door.
Moulded surround. Richly carved projecting timber hood with scrolled
pediment and brackets. Single mullion and transom timber casements in
moulded brick surrounds. Cornices over ground floor windows below
prominent continuous plat band. Aprons to 1st floor windows which have
pedimented architraves; segmental pediments to mid and outer bays of
main range, central lugged architrave framed by pilasters with scrolled
bases. Square 2nd floor windows, architraves with aprons to pediments
below. Deep boxed eaves. Chamfered brick quoins to return and re-entrant
angles of wings. Re-entrant walls of crosswings have blind windows.
Pedimented dormers, 1:3:1. Tall stacks at junctions of main range and
wings; panelled sides, bases and moulded caps. Double span roof to hall
range. On front ridge to centre a large square wooden clock turret
surmounted by an open octagonal bell chamber with a cupola and
weathervane finial. Left return: asymmetrical 2:3. 3 bays towards front
closely spaced. Bracketed hood over central ground floor French window
with flanking blind openings. First floor: pedimented architraves, that
to centre similar to centre front. 2 bays towards rear, wider spacing,
articulated as at front. 3 dormers evenly spaced. Small capped stack to
left of centre. Right return: least formal facade. 4 bays grouped
towards centre. Casements of 2 to 6 lights. Stone arched head to
basement opening. 1st and 2nd floor blind openings to outer bays. 1
dormer and 1 small capped stack. Rear or later entrance front
asymmetrical 2:5:2. Irregularly fenestrated in main range to suit
staircases. Steps up to central entrance. Moulded timber surround with
consoles to pediment. Plain brick surrounds to cross glazed casements.
Some floating cornices. Plat band, blocked at angles. Crosswings
shallower than at front. Brick quoins at angles, not chamfered. Right
wing openings all blind except 2nd floor, ground floor left blocked
door. Half basement. Dormers, 1:5:1. 2 tall cross axial stacks at
junctions with wings, panelled sides and moulded caps. Large stack in
central valley. Interior: ground floor: rear hall, now reception,
re-used Jacobean panelling. Front rooms: remodelled early C18. Hall has
2 Doric piers replacing original screen from passage. Original main
staircase rises full 3 storeys. Open well. Richly carved square newels,
baskets of fruit on top and drops. In place of balusters elaborate
pierced foliage panels. Moulded handrail and string with bayleaf frieze.
First floor landing: massive carved wood doorcases to principal rooms in
which some linenfold panelling re-set and a late C18 chimney piece.
Second floor: chapel, linenfold and Jacobean panelling, 2 pews, pulpit
and reading desk. Lord's Prayer, 10 Commandments and Credo painted over
fireplace. C17 heraldic glass in windows. Attic: long gallery with
linenfold panelling. Secondary stair: ball finials to square newels,
turned balusters, moulded handrail. L-shaped extension to right
return towards rear. 1 storey. Flat arched heads and plain brick
surrounds to similar windows. Hipped roof. Entrance gates, wrought iron,
1873, attached to N. Low wall from left end of garden front runs forward
to steps down to terrace to left of house. Piers with stone caps, ball
finials. (RCHM Typescript: Country Life 4-11 October 1919: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL1914604655
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings