History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Watermill Approximately 25 Metres to South West of Hogstow Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Minsterley, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6222 / 52°37'20"N

Longitude: -2.9386 / 2°56'19"W

OS Eastings: 336554

OS Northings: 303132

OS Grid: SJ365031

Mapcode National: GBR B8.7Z1X

Mapcode Global: WH8C3.TCT2

Entry Name: Watermill Approximately 25 Metres to South West of Hogstow Mill

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259001

Location: Minsterley, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Minsterley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Minsterley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 30 SE
11/94 Watermill approx. 25
- metres to south-west
of Hogstow Mill


Watermill, now disused. Circa 1815, probably incorporating parts of an
earlier mill. Red brick and uncoursed sandstone rubble with red brick
dressings; slate roofs. L-plan. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic with
one storey and attic office wing to north. Dentil brick eaves cornice;
integral brick end stack to east. Main block: north front: first-floor
2-light segmental-headed wooden casement off-centre to right, ground floor
3-light segmental-headed wooden casement off-centre to right, and segmental-
headed boarded opening to right (probably formerly to accommodate belt drive
for external machinery). Wing adjoining at right-angles has segmental-headed
entrance in corner of return front with pair of boarded doors flanking
window behind; gable end to front with one 2-light segmental-headed wooden
casement on each floor to left and central segmental-headed boarded loft
door. Wheel pits at each end of main block, that to left still retaining
cast iron overshot waterwheel (wooden paddles missing) and cast iron sluice
above. Interior: some machinery survives; ground floor: gearing for surviving
wheel, 2 grain chutes, and timber framed partition wall to machinery for
former right-hand wheel; first floor: 2 banded stone-housings, some wooden
shafting and gearing, and trap doors. Ground is banked up behind the mill
building. The previous mill was burnt down in 1814 and rebuilt the next
year, probably incorporating some of the remains. An alternative
explanation of the present structure is that it is a rebuilding of the
1815 mill. The building forms part of a complete mill group including a
house (qv), a barn (qv) and stables (qv). V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.307.

Listing NGR: SJ3655403132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.