History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Pump House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hunsdon, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8082 / 51°48'29"N

Longitude: 0.0557 / 0°3'20"E

OS Eastings: 541818

OS Northings: 214172

OS Grid: TL418141

Mapcode National: GBR LD1.NWG

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.XT96

Plus Code: 9F32R354+77

Entry Name: The Pump House

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 19 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176452

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159971

Location: Hunsdon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hunsdon

Built-Up Area: Hunsdon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hunsdon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots


(east side)
Hunsdon village

7/10 No 16 (The Pump House)
and No 18, (Formerly
24.1.67 listed as The Pump House)


House. Probably C16, modernised in C17 and altered to give a
near symmetrical E-shaped elevation in the C18, and new windows
and porch in the early C19. A large 2 storeys, 4 windows
plastered house with a steep old red tiled roof, extending to
rear along Drury Lane on the left. A grand timberframed house
with lower, 2 storeys, cross wings and originally probably an
open hall. Made 2 storeys throughout and given a large cruciform
central chimney near the centre of the hall range and a T-shaped
internal gable chimney at the rear of the S wing, all in the C17.
Covered with plaster lined as ashlar in the C18 and the roofs of
the wings altered to continuations of the main tiled roof with
moulded dentilled eaves cornice and cable-moulded string course
across the recessed centre part. Early C19 sash windows, square
in proportion, with moulded architraves to front. Pilastered and
pedimented closed porch with Regency style door with 2 vertical
panels. 10/10 panes to Ground floor windows flanking the porch
and smaller 8/8 panes above. A glazed door has been added beside
the window of the lefthand wing (No. 18) as a separate entrance.
C18 tiled gables canopy to side door to Drury Lane in the form of
a modillioned open pediment on heavy shaped brackets. 3 window,
2 storeys rear wing plastered similarly but roof of lower pitch.
Blocked door before last window. Original N end wall exposed in
shop showing heavy timbers and tension brace. Recorded as The
Feathers in 1637, a smithy in 1671 and later a coachmakers and a
buiders (HLHS (1979) 35-6). The blocked carriageway and part of
the 2 storeys C18/C19 weatherboarded and slated range extending N
along the High Street are part of No 18. The part'nearest The
Pump House has different floor levels and has a flush sash window
on the upper floor with 4/8 panes and moulded architrave. A
modern 3-light bay window with small panes protrudes slightly on
the Ground floor. An historic timberframed house of exceptional
interest: The largest house in the village. A focus of the High
Street at a bend, by the Pump, in the middle of the village
Conservation Area.

Listing NGR: TL4181814172

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.